Need advice, 20 month old with a fever AGAIN...starting to worry!!!

Hi all, my son's 20 months...he had a fever about 2 weeks ago, the highest it got, was 38.4. So it was more than a low grade. Through the night, I heard him whimpering in his sleep, felt his head, and sure enough..FEVER again. It's 37.6 this moring..I do know our natural body temp is higher, in the early morn, and early evening...so I'm not totally freaking alrd, how ever I don't understand WHY he's getting one again...with no other symptoms either I might add..same as last time. This time he's not as lethargic as he was last time...so far! Any advice, have you mama's seen this with your little ones before?? Fever so close together, with no symptoms...teething seems weird to say, due to the temperature of his fever, seems high for teething...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are SOOOO many viruses going around right now he could have easily picked up a bug... and while his immune system was down caught something else.
    Those are both pretty low grade fevers... and a fever itself isn't usually a cause for concern (unless the temp is 105-107 without a known cause) Kids can spike temp 104 just from colds.
    Watch for other symptoms... troubles breathing, being very lethargic, dehydration. OR if the fever is over 38.3 (101) for more than 5 days.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My sons pedi told me that fevers tend to be higher during their sleep. 38.4 would be considered a common fever. You didn't say how high his temp was the second time during the night. The 37.6 isn't even considered fever by some docs and if he were school age it wouldn't be enough to keep him out of school here. Kids pick up all sorts of things that we don't know about. One of mine had an ear infection once that was found by accident (he didn't have any of the classic symptoms) And I have a friend who's kids get high fevers with teething. Honestly, if he's getting lethargic you might want to get him checked out. How a child acts is a better indicator of how sick he is than how high his fever gets is. In other words, a lethargic child with a low fever is often sicker than a happy child with a high one. Hope he's better soon.
    K.D.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Thanks so far ladies, that's great to hear...eases my mind!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Call your doctor this not normal at all.
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 20, 2010