has anyone else heard about what this school did?!

Link below... Basically, there's a school district in Pennsylvania that provides all their high school students with a laptop. What they did not tell the parents or the students when they signed for them was that they had a security feature enabled where they could, remotely, turn on a webcam on the laptop and record the students in their homes. They claim that this is so that any lost or stolen computers can be recovered, but it was discovered when the school accused a student of doing drugs in his room (he was eating Mike and Ike candy), and they had images of him doing this because they used the webcam to record him. The interview I saw with the parents said they had NEVER reported the laptop as lost or stolen.

Thoughts, comments??

sailorwifenmom

Asked by sailorwifenmom at 7:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Here's an internet link to the story, if you would like to read more about it. I first saw it covered on the news.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:29 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• i would be absolutely livid. They have no right to spy on children. Its one thing to record whats going on in the schools but not in the privacy of their own home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I agree, I would be FURIOUS! The parents are suing the school, and the FBI as well as the State DA's office are investigating the district.

As one of the moms that was interviewed said, she found out when her teenage daughter called her, freaked out, because "Mom, I have my computer open and in my room all the time, even when I'm changing!" (This isn't the mom of the kid that was accused of doing the drugs, but one of the other parents in the district.)

Who knows WHAT images they've recorded of these kids, when they THOUGHT their computer wasn't in use, when they were in the privacy of their own bedrooms?!?!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:36 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I would be sueing also. Talk about an invasion of privacy!!!
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:07 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• How stupid can that principal be? She has to be somewhat educated and know something about politics and law....and even if you didn't it obviously immoral to go peeping into someones bedroom.  Not only is it a disgusting envasion of privacy but incredible stupid of them to think they could just go up to a kid and say yeah I caught you doing drugs while I was illegally spying on a minor in his bedroom.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• WOW. I would also be livid. Good for the family for suing!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• btw thanks for sharing OP.
    SalemWitchChild

• I posted this a couple of days ago, and read the lawsuit. The school didn't disclose the spy ware they put on the machine. It didn't come loaded on the computers, they had to add it. And using it to "find" lost or stolen computers? That is BS.

What they did is highly illegal. There should be criminal charges as well.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:23 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I'd sue their asses right this minute if I were them.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:08 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I read this when mancos posted it but did not respond.The school would have BIG hell to pay..i'd go wild on them.That is disgusting.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2010