Research about this generation of college students?

What do you think of the following article?

http://www.newsweek.com/id/194640

Do you agree or disagree? Why or why not?

Personally, I am scared for our country. My husband is a college professor and he sees these "brats" every single day. They expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter without working for it at all. This generation of college students lacks a work ethic.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I've met many young people just like that, and interviewed quite a few for jobs. It's amazing what young kids, just out of high school and college, thought they should earn as starting pay. They would apply for management positions they were unqualified for, and be surprised, and even shocked, the job wasn't given to them.

The article states 30%, that number seems quite reasonable to me, after what I've seen.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I didn't read the article but I'm in college and I certainly don't think I'm entitled to something and I work damn hard.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:05 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Then you missed the point. Read the article.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• This is why I stopped teaching college.

There is this stupid idea that college is job training, so all these parents demand that their kids go to school instead of join the work force. Universities are a business, so they feel inclined to bring on students and make more money. Furthermore, these online colleges, junior colleges, and tech colleges have low low standards so that anyone can get in. A college degree is so easy to get that it is meaningless.

Because of the myth that college is job training, these kids graduate and expect a job to be handed to them. They expect a salary that will pay back their loans and then some. They think "being smart" is enough to get by, but they have no skills.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:12 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• "Generation Me" has been around for at least the last 10+ years, and it looks like it's going to be the longest running generation/era yet! I blame the "My child is somebody" crap where kids develop egos bigger than their IQ's--but hey, at least they're "somebody special!"

I was raised during "Generation Earn It" and that's how I am raising my children! You want it, go out and WORK for it! Really, it's that simple. And if you are unable to get whatever it is that you want, then you really didn't work hard enough! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:24 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I have to agree. I listen to my hubby complain about this all the time. He's a teaching assistant while working on his PhD. And he is always complaining about the "entitlement era" (or as stated in the piece, generation ME). These kids want everything given to them, whether they work for it or not. Yes, you do have some who are in school to learn and try and try and try to do their best. But the flip side is the number (30% in the article?). That's 30% of the up and coming work-force who are uneducated about how the world really works. That is huge and does not bode well for the future.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:39 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• It doesn't surprise me. Today's young people, the college age generation, is full of entitled, lazy brats.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:46 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Alrighty then. Who's responsible for us being this way, then? Our parents are the Baby Boomers. We've been groomed since infancy to have everything handed to us. You cannot expect everything to just magically change overnight.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:46 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Didn't everybody already know this? Lori I agree some is due to the 'somebody special' stuff..good intended of course but it went way overboard.The road to hell is paved with good intentions.Most young folks are not going to come fresh out of college and right into a big position.There is something to be said for hands on experiance..Obama...There are alot of employers who will hire the person with a good amount of experiance before one with book smarts but no experiance.These kids come out of school and think they know it all and how dare anyone tell them they need a bit of real experiance first..big big difference between knowing what has to be done and actually doing it and doing it well.There are plenty of people who can say they have college degrees and some still do not have the ability to put it to work.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:55 AM on Feb. 20, 2010