A young cat here got the septic cap off & now Smells! How to get her Clean?

She's a Friskie sweet, precious Kitty. Just a little over one year old! She loves any caps she can get her paws on. From soda caps, hair spray ones any ones! She managed outside to get the breathing pipe of the septic system off. So now she smells! How can I get her Freshened up? Without a bath? Its cold here! No matter how I try to keep her in. She sneaks out! We have a Cat Haven 6 acres and she loves to roam in it. She does as she pleases as Cats do! Though I try to not allow it! Any other ideas? She's a long haired black fur ball!! Help me freeshen up Twiggy! Thank you for any kind replies!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 9:25 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Pets

• There are some waterless shampoos, that you can try, but she may end up needing a real bath.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Waterless shampoos aren't the best bet for cats since the lick themselves so much. They are expensive and don't really work.

You're going to have to be the mean mommy and dunk her in some bath water and lock her up for a few hours until she is dry. She'll only hate you for like 3 hours. Then she'll forget about it. ;)
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:36 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I agree about real bath. Besides you want her clean not just smelling clean. Heat up your bathroom and wear long sleeves and gloves, and a motorcycle helmet with a face guard, and long protective pants, and several scarves around your neck, LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 9:38 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• ^^^ I forgot about having another family member helping you who is similarly dressed.

Answer by Bmat at 9:39 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• "Heat up your bathroom and wear long sleeves and gloves, and a motorcycle helmet with a face guard, and long protective pants, and several scarves around your neck, LOL!"

LMAO, Bmat! That sounds exactly like feline bath day in my house! We just had to give our worst one a bath last weekend and it was a nightmare. Poor hubby! He does most of the bathing work with the cats :) Linda, I agree with the others. You will probably just need to give her a real bath, then secure her indoors for a few hours til she's dry. Do you have a cage or cat carrier? You can put her in that for a while if needed, or shut her in a spare room. It shouldn't take that terribly long to dry, especially if you can towel her off very well after the bath. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• If she is not going to go into kitty hysterics over the bath, I wonder if tomato juice would do it. It's supposed to work on skunk odor.

Of course then she gets to stay in the bath long enough to have that washed off, too.

The quints aren't fans, but they submit pretty well when they understand mean mommy is not taking no for an answer. (And Spike needs one weekly-ish for the allergies/collar) I can't imagine bathing the twins, though. I can't even catch Chase.

Good luck, Linda.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 1:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• How about sprinkling some baking soda on her and brushing her with it? Has your husband covered the cap to keep it kitty proof?
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• warm the house up and just do the bath than try a hair dryer and a leash blow dry her as much as you can and just try to keep her in. I got the same kind of cat at my house.Or try the groomers that is where I take dusty when she is real bad
    cvwright21

Answer by cvwright21 at 3:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2010