my son has an ear infection and is 3 this is the first one ive been threw what do i do?

babyblue563

Asked by babyblue563 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Health

• I just read about just letting them ride it out since they are mainly caused by viruses. I would take him to the doctor and see what the doctor wanted to do. Meanwhile a painkiller and resting on a towel-covered hot water bottle, maybe. I hope he feels better soon.

Answer by Bmat at 9:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• If you haven't taken him to the doctor then take him to get some antibiotics, make sure you give him his meds like it says to and don't let him sniffle, it makes it worse. Elevate his head alittle at night and use a vaporizor for alittle while, ou can buy waterless ones that lupg into the wall. Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• If he is in pain you need to take him to the doctor,,,we are in the middle of our 4th ear infection this year! He is on antibiotics and pain drops,,, depending on if it is bacterial or viral depends on how to treat it,,,,I use a heating pad for a bit and as PP said elevation and vaporizer! Good luck mommy!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:38 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• make sure hes' blowing his nose, or he will be sicker for longer. Give him an extra pillow to sleep with at night. Vicks and vaporizor will do wonders. They help with the congestion so he will be able to sleep more soundly through the night. Better sleep means he gets healthy faster. Make him eat even if he doesn't want to. The nutrition will boost his immune system. Soup, jello, ice water, and OJ are my 4 year old's favorite "sick foods." A warm bath always makes him feel better too. It doesn't make him healthier, but helps with the aches and pain. He always like it when I gently rub behind his ear. My son likes lots of extra momma time. We cuddle up on the couch or in my bed and watch tv or movies. Make sure he gets his meds like he's supposed to and that he gets the full course of antibiotics. It takes a few days for the antibiotics to start to kick in, so stick with it. Hope he feels better soon
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My daughter is 20 months and has had SO many ear infections. If you can't get him to the dr's right away for antibiotics some things you can try are. Elevating his mattress when they lay flat it causes more pressure to build up in ears and causes pain. Tylenol or Motrin for pain will help aittle but not make the pain go away. My daughter always seems to be worse at night. I hope he feels better soon
    MommytoBe987

Answer by MommytoBe987 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• i have only had experience with one burst eardrum...as far as i know there was no infection. we rode ours out. my son had a low grade fever, we don't medicate for that. really i gave him extra fluids, and i held him lots. once the eardrum burst, his fever stopped and he started sleeping better too. we are keeping his ear dry for two months now.
    3 years old, and a first ear infection sounds good, like you won't be having chronic issues, that would be sooo hard!
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2010