Toddler doesn't feel pain???

We, and other people, have started to notice that our almost 15month old DD seems to not feel pain, either that or she's extremely tough. We "pop" her hand sometimes if she's misbehaving, and she doesn't cry or anything. I mean, making her cry ISN'T what we're trying to do, but I've seen other parents pop their child, and the scream like they're being beat! DD acts like she doesn't even notice. And if she falls, like off the couch, never crys. The other day, she had pulled some of the VHS movies out, the ones in the plastic cases, well, she cut her leg pretty badly on one of the edges, never cried... I don't think she knew she did it, I just happened to notice blood on the carpet, and followed it... Its crazy, but I think something may really be wrong. We took her to the ER a few months back for a possible UTI, well the nurses had to draw blood, and put in an IV for fluids, and now that I'm really thinking about it, CONT.

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 11:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she never cried when they stuck her with the needle, or inserted the catheter. She only cried when we held her down. BUT, before taking her into the ER that night, she of course had all of her shots and things in the months before, and she did cry when getting those... I'm really getting a little worried now. I don't want to make a big deal over nothing tho...
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 11:16 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My daughter was like that as a toddler. I don't think she ever really cried about anything until she was 5 or 6. She definitely feels pain now, so I think it was just not a natural response for her. She didn't cry when she was stung by a bee and didn't cry when she had shots.

As far as kids acting like the world is ending from a slap on the hand - they usually aren't doing that because of pain; it's usually because it makes them mad or hurts their feelings.

I'd ask the pediatrician about it, but really I don't think it's anything to worry too much about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• She may simply just have a very high threshhold (sp?) for pain. My son always has been that way. But that could in some instances be dangerous because she may not be aware that something could hurt her. I know it has you worried so my advice would be to talk with her pediatrician about your concerns. It could be nothing but always go with mom's intuition.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:24 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• http://www.answers.com/topic/cipa There is a REALLY RARE genetic disorder called CIPA ...here is a link to the info I found. it says there are only 17 people in the US with it...

I would just talk to her doctor. Chances are it's just something more normal

http://www.answers.com/topic/cipa

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:35 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My nephew feels no pain. Not sure what it's called, but it was something he was tested for. It's in his school records, and the leaders of all his activities know, that if he complains of ANY pain, they need to get him straight to the ER, and call mom & dad on the way - he literally feels nothing, he broke his arm one time and no one knew it for 2 days because it didn't hurt - it finally started turning funny colors and they took him in to get checked out. He's hit his head so hard he had a huge goose egg & the doc put him in the hospital for observation overnight - but it didnt' phase him. If your dd is really that "bad", take her in and tell the doc, a good doc will pursue the fact and have her tested for any disorder.
    Anonymous

• My son is just like that. He is just a tough cookie. He even walked and put a flame on a candle out with his fingers by touching it, it didn't even make him flinch! (just so no one gets all bashy on that we were at my MIL's and we didn't know the candle was there til he put it out)
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 4:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2010