Catholic baptism Question~Name on certificate..

My kids will be baptised at Easter vigil this year,I had not give the name on their certificates any thought as I assumed it would just be the same as their name at birth. Yesterday my mil called to ask if I would name my dd after her on the baptism certificate. She told dh that it is traditional to add a God parent or grandparent's name at the time of baptism. Is this correct?? Has anyone else heared of this??

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 11:14 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I had my kids baptized Catholic, no name change was necessary. Their certificates only list their godparents and their own names.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I've never heard of that, is it a cultural tradition?
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 12:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I did some googling and found this: http://teamrcia.com/2009/11/01/do-you-need-to-have-a-saints-name-for-baptism-or-confirmation/

The tradition was to give a SAINTS name to the child, it's a nice tradition but it isn't mandatory. Since my kids were given saints names that were also family names (as their middle name) on their birth certificates this was never an issue for us. I guess you need to weigh the pro's and con's and consider family harmony - what does your husband think? 

erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 12:36 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Thank you for the link erdavh, it was very interesting. My kids are not named after any saints, they are just names we liked, on their baptismal certificates it just lists their given names and their godparents names.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• You can choose a confirmation name, which is typically a saint's name.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• When my 1st child was born in 1994, I was Catholic, and had her baptized. After God Parents were chosen, I had to choose a new name for her. It was supposed to be a saint's name, so I picked Guadalupe. It is on her certificate.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Two of my children were not named after saints, and two were (either in first name or middle name). But none of the kids had to have a different name for the baptism certificate. For the most part, it is most likely a cultural/family traditional type of thing. I guess you and your husband have to decide what you think is best (for family harmony, etc).

Anonymous