Dental Question~(5 year old getting a tooth pulled)

Hi,I am a little worried about my 5 yr old. He had a fillling done last yr. At his cleaning last week the dentist told me that the filling did not take and the tooth has absessed. She says that he must have it pulled and a metal spacer placed in it's place. Has anyone been through this w/their child?? I am worried about my LO. I really did not want him to go through this:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I had many teeth pulled as a child, but I never had any spacers put in. I had an overcrowding, and it was causing my teeth to come in through the gums in the back.

If this is a baby tooth (which, at five years old I would assume it is) I don't really understand the need for the spacer. A permanent tooth will come into place eventually.
    Anonymous

• He'll be fine. Primary teeth have very short roots. Extracting a primary tooth is very easy and quick. He'll need a spacer because when the permanent molars come in you do not want them moving into the space. Permanent molars do not replace any teeth and come in behind primary molars. Primary molars are replaced by bicuspids. Children have 20 teeth and adults have 32.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 1:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• when i was five i started to lose teeth by the time i was in 3-4 grade i has all my adult teeth
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 5:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Caring for a lot of children has had me go through a ton of dental situations. The spacer is perfectly normal. The dentist just doesn't want hisother teeth to get all crooked and wreck the form of his mouth. It shouldn't hurt your child and really not a big deal.
    zigi101

Answer by zigi101 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My son has had 10 teeth pulled. It is not a big deal at all, so stop worrying because you are going to scare your child and that will make it that much worse. The dentist will numb his mouth with a couple of shots (the put a numbin lotion on the gums first). wait about 10 minutes and then pull the tooth out. The whole thing takes about 15 minutes. After the tooth is pulled, he will NOT be able to drink out of a straw, for a few hours and he will have to watch what he eats so nothing gets stuck in the hole. He will have to rinse his mouth after eating to make sure there are no food particles in the hole. THAT IS ALL!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:53 PM on Feb. 21, 2010