Do your parents offer to watch the kids anytime but have such a busy schedule it never works?

I am blessed by the fact that my parents live close by and always want to spend time with my daughter. They constantly say they can watch her anytime if we need help. But they are so busy that working around their schedule to get daycare is more trouble than it is worth!

Example - Last week my husband had a 10:30am job interview. I was working from home and my daughter is 15 mos. Mom said, "Don't worry - we will take her so you can get work done!" When I called her to schedule a pick-up time, she said she'd come and get my daughter after her nap. That is around 2:30. My husband expected to be home around lunchtime so he would be there to help me all afternoon. I needed help in the morning - not the afternoon - but they figure just taking her at all is help.

Does anyone else deal with parents, relatives, or friends like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• YES. The grandparents on both my husbands side and mine offer help, but when it comes to scheduling times. I've found I can not depend on them at all and I need to find a sitter to depend on.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 11:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Yes. We just moved to be closer to DH's family. MIL said she could watch DS all day Thursday so I could unpack and get the house set up - she was here for 2 hours before she had to leave to go get DS's brothers's girlfriend's son (yes that's confusing) from school and then didn't come back. I was all WTH? You said you could be here all day - 2 hours is not all day! Before, when we lived by my family, my mom said she would watch him whenever I wanted but then she had to work around my nephew's schedule (she has custody of him) and it never worked out. I'm beginning to think everyone's offers are just empty, polite, conversations.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Ok, let's be clear. We are grandparents NOT just convenient babysitters. I told my children that I have a life. I did my time raising my kids as a single mom with no help and I made it ok. I got work done. I managed. You can to. I can't get over how spoiled this younger generation of mom is. Your mom shouldn't have to change her life around to take care of your responsibility. You and dh need to think of things like sitters and schedules before having kids and don't depend on others to be there just bc you want them there. That's just selfish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Yup. my mom always wants to take the kids, but when I call her she is watching my neice every time and cant handle two infants...
    ccspiratemama

Answer by ccspiratemama at 12:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Nope, I don't have that problem. My husband and I don't have anyone to help with our son. I work from home so we don't have daycare. We've managed quite well though.
    Anonymous