9 month old breastfed baby starting to hurt me while nursing!

Luckily she doesn't bite very often, but she constantly pulls her head away from my body while she nurses and it's really hurting my nipples! She's constantly squirming while she nurses and I've tried to swaddle her or just hold her close to me but she just squirms and squirms....I still think she wants to nurse, I just don't know why she insists on STRETCHING my boob to the point of pain while nursing now...anyone else have this issue?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she is becoming more aware of all of the fun things she COULD be doing, but still wants to eat. Every baby goes through this at some point, mine did around 5-7 months, and then again around a year. What worked for me, was a set of "Nursing beads".

I took some really odd, bright, differently textured bead and strung them on fishing line (so it could be pulled on, but not broken), tied it off in a square knot (google it for instructions, its easy), and then used a lighter to meld the ends of line together around the knot.
    The beats were indestructible, and gave my little ones something fun to look at and play with while they nursed. I made a half dozen sets, so that they would not get bored with the same things. It worked AMAZINGLY WELL.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• The nursing beads are a really good idea! I just took a large glass pendant off of a thread type necklace and put it on a stronger chain for DD to fiddle with. She still moves around, but the pulling stopped after I started using the necklace and holding her close, plus only nursing her when I knew she was hungry. You might also try nursing somewhere with very few distractions while she goes through this phase.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Mine wasn't that old when we had that problem - I just went and sat in a dark, quiet room and had her blankie partially over her head and she was fine. Out in public I covered up with her blankie too. Using her blankie that way was a calm & comforter for her.
    Anonymous

• Check out the Breastfeeding Moms group. They have a sticky post called "When Babies Attack" with lots of tips.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• sounds like she's playing. my son did that also. i would just sit him down, tell him no, and have him latch on again. if he did it again, i told him no, sit him in his crib or play pen and walk away. he finally got that if he did that then he wasn't going to get to eat.
    i don't believe in shutting everything off while nursing. if things are going on and distracting baby, then re-direct her attention back to nursing, bc if you NIP, then you'll never get her to eat.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2010