Would you take a free dog if s0meone you know gave it to you

My husband was at work yesterday and a coworker asked my husband if we wanted a dog for our kids. But the problem is how would you ask your landlord if you can have a dog when they already said no to having dogs in their house I am renting.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Pets

• If the landlord already said no then that means no..I would not bother asking..

Anonymous

• I agree with the previous poster. If you want a dog then you're going to have to find a new place that allows dogs.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• depending on the size/age of the animal, they may let you have it for a small nonrefundable fee.

landlords are easily swayed by the offer of money.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Given that you already have been told no to a dog by your landlord, I'd probably turn it down. But the worst that can happen by asking is that they still say no and your in the same position, maybe they'll say yes you never know until you try. That's sort of how we got our dog. My in-laws were out at garage sales when they found a puppy (we think he was about 4 months old at the time) on the street. We agreed to keep him until someone claimed him, he had a collar on, we called the humane society, radio, etc. No one ever came forward and 10 years later he's our 4th son lol.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• To answer your question, I have adopted a dog from someone I knew before. BUT, in your case, if the landlord has said no pets then you shouldn't adopt the dog and risk having to re-home them.
    Anonymous

• I did take a free dog from someone I knew. However, I owned my own home and didn't have to get a landlord's permission. You've already been told no, so I wouldn't take the dog. I suppose you could ask the landlord and see if they've changed their mind, but I'd do that before taking the dog, since they will probably say no.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• To answer you questionwould i take in a free animal. Yes, I would, i have many times. Most of them (both cats and dogs) were abandonded at the vet clinic where i work. I have a 4 month old pup right now that was "free", he was found on the street very Malnourished and covered in sore from either being thrown from a car or abuse in general. But under your circumstancees if my landlord told me up front no pets i would not do it because if they find out about the dog you will either have to get rid of the dog or have to find a new place to live and i don't think either of those scenerios are very good.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I just took in a pet from a friend. So yes, I do. Now, I have rental property and no means no to pets, Unless they agree to a pet deposit. I have a house now where I just found out they have 3 dogs and were not suppose to have any. Now they have to pay 250 deposit per dog or I can evict.
    Anonymous

• I would ask the landlord and tell them that it is a older well behaved dog. What is the harm in asking???
    Esmrlda

Answer by Esmrlda at 6:23 PM on Jul. 26, 2010