Baby always spits up during tummy time.

My 5 mo old always spits up A LOT during tummy time. The more time she spends on her tummy the more spit up there is. I don't put her down right after a meal...she actually just woke up from a nap and hasn't eaten in 2 hours. She burped well and spit up after eating. Is this normal and is there anything I can do about it? Also, is it normal for her to spit up after every time she eats?

cpuckett27

Asked by cpuckett27 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have her doc check for acid reflux
    Anonymous

• Yeah it's normal. You just have a pukey baby. My son was the same way, same as my husband and myself. Didn't matter when he ate or how many times he burped after, there was no escaping the spit up. Some babies just do it more than others. Once we got to the reaching for things stage it was gross because he'd spit up during tummy time and just play with it. If you're formula feeding, Simliac RS is designed for spit-up experts like this. It won't put an end to it, but it's less spit up than the regular formula. If breastfeeding, you're already dealing with less spit-up (both in amount and smell in my experience). Either way, with my son it dropped off once he was completely on solid foods.
    All you can really do about it is try to catch it on a burp cloth and bring an extra shirt for you as well.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 1:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• ya my first DD did but she also had acid refulx. If its not this she may also just have air in her tummy and need to burp so the food comes out with it. Maybe try burping her more after eating and after she crys (they can gulp air when they cry) GL!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 2:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Don't do tummy time.

Tummy time was invented soon after the Back to Sleep campaign. Some parents left their babies laying on their backs so much it was making them have flat heads and affecting their development. Rather than telling parents to not let their baby lay on their back so much, tummy time was invented.

Instead of tummy time you can hold your baby, sit your baby on your lab, carry your baby in a sling, carry your baby in a carrier, do things other than have your baby on their back in bed or in a seat.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• ummmm...no, I think tummy time is to help them with learning how to be mobile and crawl. I don't do tummy time cause I feel she is on her back too much, I do it to help her developmentally and she loves it!
    cpuckett27

Answer by cpuckett27 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• my son didn't like laying on the floor and would cry and scream until i picked him up. so, we did tummy time on me. lol he liked it much better bc he could see me and i'm much softer than the floor. also, i would lay him on the couch and i would lay next to the couch. he would get to see me still and was laying on a comfortable cushion, but i didn't have to lay on my back (i have very relaxed hips all the time and it hurts to lay on my back for a long period of time).
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 1:07 PM on Feb. 21, 2010