Recommend a good vitamin

I have been feeling run down and constantly tired (even after a full nights sleep) for probably a year now. I just dont feel well anymore. Im thinking I need to take a good vitamin but the problem is they make me constipated (TMI, i know)which is why i dont really take them but now i feel i need soemthing. Can anyone recommend a good OTC vitamin or one that has a stool softener in it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Health

• Looks like cafemom has already given you some good advice. Is it necessary for you to take iron on a daily basis? It is for me because I'm anemic. Yes, iron can cause constipation. Try taking it with orange juice, or some other vitamin C drink, it helps to metabolize the iron. Also all of the B vitamins are great for energy. If you are not lactose intolerant, drink plenty of milk as well as water. Replenish you anti-oxidants and electrolytes by drinking Gatorade and vitamin enhanced water helps as well. Echinacea is good if you are feeling run down from symptom of a cold, preferably as soon as you feel a cold coming on Echinacea is great. Of course, you should visit your doctor for a complete check up to rule out any inner goings ons as to why you are feeling tired so much. How much exerciese are you getting? I know, who feels like exercising, it increases endorphins, gets more oxygen to heart/lungs=feeling better!!!
    warmcoffee

Answer by warmcoffee at 2:48 PM on Feb. 25, 2010

• The constipation is probably from the iron in most multivitamins. Try to find an iron-free multi, or just get separate supplements like a B vitamin, folic acid, D, C, E, that sort of thing. You may also talk to your doctor about what they recommend, and what to do if vitamins don't help. The run-down feeling can be a symptom of lots of different things. Last time I went to the dr feeling icky he ran a complete blood panel just to be sure, and told me to drink more water, eat more fiber, and take vitamins.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Vitamin B12 promotes the production of red blood cells, which helps enormously to fight fatigue.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:40 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• try to eat food regularly...every 3 hours is good for most...eat lots of veggies, a bit of fruit, whole grains and be sure to be well hydrated. try to get outside for a little bit every day too.
    if you must do a vitamin go to a health food store and look for a food based multi.
    the b12 is a good one too
    you may want to consider a greens powder too.
    do you exercise at all?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I do exercise regularly, i drink lots of water and only drink green tea instead of soda. I try to eat healthy with lots of yogurt, fruit, some cheese and a normal dinner. So i figured I need a vitamin. I dont have insurance and feel fine otherwise so i was avoiding going into the doc.
    Anonymous

• Just wanted to add that it is really good to get some fresh air when you are feeling tired a lot. So even if you do not feel like going anywhere, just poke your head out of the door or step out on the porch for a few minutes and breathe deeply (bundled up of course) . Because of indoor heating, being indoors a lot can cause one to feel run down and just simply 'blah.' So add fresh air to the above recipes, take all of the B vitamins, not just one, see your doctor, he can also prescribe vitamins and hopefully you'll be on the road called ENERGY is no no time!!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    warmcoffee

Answer by warmcoffee at 2:54 PM on Feb. 25, 2010