How did you know you were really in labor?

Cafe Jenn

Asked by Cafe Jenn at 1:40 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my water broke...
    Anonymous

• When my contractions got more painful, closer together and regular. My waters didn't break until I had been at the hospital for a good 3 hours.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 1:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• There was no guessing for me... My contractions started out very intense and 5 minutes apart, and were 2 minutes apart an hour later. I didn't go through any of the guessing games and having to wait and see if they kept coming and getting closer together.

But generally, you know it's labor contractions when they keep coming at regular intervals, becoming more intense and lasting longer, with that regular interval getting closer together. And nothing makes them ease up. With BH contractions, sometimes walking or lying down or drinking water will make them go away, but not with the real thing. And you probably won't be able to talk or walk through contractions, they're that intense.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• when my contractions kept me pacing my house in circles and running to pee every two minutes and would stop me in my place and double me over....i couldnt relax. by the time i got to the hospital i was already 5 cm...but my water never broke and i didnt have any bloody show. Doc broke my water for me...WIERD FEELING!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My water broke all over the mattress at 4am lol.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 3:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• the baby came out!!!!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• when my water broke. my contractions don't hurt...so i don't really know until that water gushes!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My water never broke before I was at the hospital. With baby #1 the CNM broke it about 1hour before birth, baby #2 was born in his bag, and #3 broke about 2 hours before birth (labor was induced).

Don't count on water breaking.

Take childbirth classes, read books, watch childbirth class videos, watch videos on Youtube, hire a doula so you know more about what to expect.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:05 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I knew I was really in labor when the contractions felt like a wave of pain coming and going. My BH contractions felt like period cramping or gas moving... these contractions literally felt like waves if you closed your eyes and pictured the ocean coming and going, distant then moving in, in, in... it's at your feet (most of the pain) then receding back out until gone.

I was also knowing to keep an eye out for the change in contractions too because I had gone to the bathroom and lost my mucus plug one evening so I knew birth would be soon. (And soon being 1 1/2 days later.)
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 9:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2010