this question is ONLYfor mothers how have had postpartum

so far i have been okay, then the past 2 days i started crying like crazy and when my hubbys niece comes over i hold myself up in my room because she is skinny and it makes me feel like a ugly slob. then today i was all good until i told my hubby that i wanted to go to the store to get some baby lotion and powder, and he said to wait till monday. i flipped and got mad and now for somereason i dont want to breasfed my baby, i have a hard time even looking at him. i feel terrible, no mother should not want to look at her newborn baby. am i horrible? what can i do to help this. i need help. i thought about calling my doctor but there not open till monday. help me. and PLEASE, PLEASE no bashing. i already feel bad enough

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• then give him formula if the thought of bf-ing upsets you! if you want to continue tp breastfeed, then supplement until you get yourself some help. then go back to it! do what is best for you, your baby, and your family. it is a long road... and it just gets more twisted and bumpier.... whether you are depressed or not.
    Anonymous

• I haven't had PPD...but I want to tell you that you are NOT HORRIBLE. Not AT ALL!

Please, get some help ASAP so you can feel better.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• keep your hopes up hun it'll get better , i agree with anon give him formula if you don't wanna BF , but talk to your doctor about how you feel .. after having a baby you have a lot of emotions and hormones changing. its prolly best to tak to your doctor asap
    meNmine

Answer by meNmine at 2:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Aw, honey, don't beat yourself up. I had postpartum, and the things, the way, you feel is def not fun. The first time I had it, I didn't realize that that was what was wrong with me because my son was 4 months old before a I started feeling that way. The second time was when my twins were about 6 months old and I went to the dr. about it that time. He told me that it is very normal to not experience postpartum right away. He put me on zoloft and that really helped me through that time in my life. Hand in there, and go see your Dr this week, and know that you are not crazy! A lot of us mommies go through this. <>
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 2:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Listen to the group Third Day for inspiration, you sound drained you need to love yourself a little. You are worthy
    mommymadness30

Answer by mommymadness30 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Firstly take it easy on yourself. It darn hard being a mother to a tiny demanding baby however you feel or how much help you get. Hormones and tiredness make everthing feel overwhelming and too much at times.

Can you get any family or friends to help out or just call on for some moral support? Talk to your doctor as soon as you can.
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 2:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• thank you all sooooo much, it just makes me feel terrible when i dont want to hold my baby because i LOVE him so much. but i just cant seem to want to be around him. i have had 3 other kids and never had it this bad. i cried alot with them but never did i not want to be around them. again thank you so much.
    Anonymous

• I think it can get worse with each pregnancy,,,,don't stress on the BF right now,,,although if you can manage it does release some "feel good" hormones! I think a nice hot shower and some sleep would help as well! I know how overwhelmed and yucky I felt with my son,,,,,I want you to call your doctor on Monday and they can get you some help,,, don't feel bad Mom it is normal and you will be in my thoughts and prayers today!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:56 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Give the baby formula if it is easier on you. Talk to your doc monday see if they can put you on some anti depressants. My doc also put me on Anti anxiety to calm me down while for the antidepressants kicked in. You may want to ask about those too. If you have someone close who can help you out with the baby, so you can relax until talking to doc, call them. You need to be able to take care of yourself before you can expect to be able to adequately take care of you LO. I hope things get better for you. I know what you are going through it is very hard but you ill be ok.

hugs

krystie-tina

Answer by krystie-tina at 3:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Feed your baby. No, formula won't kill him, but stopping breastfeeding is going to wreak havoc on your hormones, too. I honestly doubt breastfeeding is the problem, because you're saying you don't want to hold him. Well, all feeding involves holding. :)

Mama, you need help, and you should not be ashamed. Even if it isn't actually post partum depression, you'll be doing the best thing for you, and for your baby. Our society is not mother friendly. When there's a problem, we're told to just get less involved with our babies (by taking more breaks, weaning early, having grandma take over). New moms should want to be with their babies, and if you don't, you need some help to get over this hump. Lots of people need it, and it's okay. You're doing a great job. Knowing there is a problem is 90% of getting better, babe.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2010