How can i get my contractions to come closer together?

I am 38 weeks 1 day. i keep having irregular contractions. they will be every 5 mins for a few hours to once an hour. when i walk or do housework they come closer together and get stronger. i am dilated 4cm and 60% effaced right now. according to the dr. with my dilation i am in active labor, i just cant get my contractions to stay regluar. so how can i get them to stay every 5mins. weather i am walking or laying down. as soon as my contractions pick up i start to dilate and efface more but as soon as i lay down they slow down alot.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• there is no way to do that. try walking that might help a lil
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:34 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Just keep walking! If the weather's decent where you are, put on good shoes and walk walk walk - if your weather's not so great, go to the mall or something and walk walk walk. No more housework, just walk walk walk, and stay hydrated! When I was about that far along, I started with contractions, around 39 weeks I started with contractions every 5 minutes, every day, all night, no matter what, but didn't dilate. At 40 weeks 1 day baby stopped, contractions stopped, I had a non-stress test and my midwife decided enough was enough, she gave me a tiny ibt of pitocin and baby was born 3 hours later!
    Anonymous

• really there is no way. activity helps sometimes, and it sounds like that's the case for you. but some women have this sort of prolonged labor for days, so you might want to just rest as much as possible :) gl!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• It might not be Time, yet...
    You can live your life as normally as possible and see what happens. (Including sex, walking, "trigger" foods...)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• sex...is a good one...walking is good too but pace around the house with someone close by just in case.eat small meals to give the uterus room is another one i heard. the sex and walking worked for me tho.
    kaliel2

Answer by kaliel2 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• don't rush it. your baby will come when ready! it sounds like any time now :)
    be sure to keep eating and keep hydrated, you don't want your baby to come because of stress, you really want your baby to come when ready!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2010