How many weeks is the Okay to deliver a baby? 34? 37?

My friends doctor said 34 weeks i told her its 37.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• depends on the situation. 37 is considered full-term, so in that terminology you are right. medically- babies can be born months early and still survive.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• it depends on each baby. some babies r k being born at 34 wks others at 37. some not till 40 weeks.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Im just asking because her doctor is telling her anytime after 34 weeks is okay and i dont agree. its 37 weeks and she has Bacterial vaginosis too. she just turned 33 weeks today.
    Anonymous

• A baby needs to stay in as long as possible as long as both baby & mommy are healthy. I was told 38 weeks is considered term, though some babies born that early still need a little help. A 34-weeker will need a few weeks in the NICU usually.
    Anonymous

• I was on bed rest with my twins starting at 29 weeks, they told me for my situation (multiples) that 32 weeks would be (out of the danger zone). Well, guess what? I held on to them until 32 weeks. They were born healthy, but very small 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 pounds. They were what they called feeder/ grower babies. They are now very active 10 year olds and have no medical conditions related to being born early.
    Anonymous

• My doctor told me that anything before 37 weeks is pre-term. My first child was 36.5 weeks. She was just great!
    Alizzie_Mom

Answer by Alizzie_Mom at 2:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• most babies born at 34 weeks have to spend a great deal of time in the NICU. sometimes 2 months or longer. most babies born at 37 weeks do not have to spend any time in the NICU and are perfectly healthy. in the long run, though, most babies born after 35 weeks will be just as healthy as other babies. but they have a rough start.
    Anonymous

• Is your friend only having one baby?!?

If the doctor is telling her its okay to have a baby @ 34 weeks then he needs to have his lincense pulled ASAP! Unless there are other underlying medical conditions for which it would be better for baby to be on the outside (though I highly doubt it!) then he has no understanding of the term ethics.
    Anonymous

• "Okay" is varies.

If someone has a high risk complication and it's safer for baby to be on the outside then this *might* be okay...
    But for normal-healthy pregnancies, "safer" is usually close to the due date, within the due period (38-42 weeks).

If your friend is having a healthy pregnancy but has a care provider that pushes/disregards God/Mother Nature's plan, following their advice is probably adding unnecessary risks.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i had my on at 33 1/2 weeks and he was perfectly healthy, he weighed 6lbs 14oz and he didnt need any extra help or anything, he came home from the hospital with me so while it isnt the norm it does happen..
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2010