how do you tell your dr about being depressed?

ive been depressed for most of my life but i have not said anything to anyone about it. i can hide it very well. i just had my 2nd baby and i dont want to feel like this around my kids. i want to tell my dr about my depression but i dont know how to go about it. i just dont know what to do. any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Health

• Tell him. Suck it up, get over your pride and tell him so something doesn't happen to your kids. Not saying anything would, but if you're that depressed, you never know what could happen.
    Anonymous

• Def talk to him about it but be careful about him just handing out anti-depressants....i do not agree with family doctors just handing out those kindof medications. HAve him refer to you to a psychiatrist
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 3:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Yes, if you want help, tell him/her. However, be careful how your phrase it because for some reason, some doctors will go way overboard and start questioning your ability to parent your children.
    Anonymous

• I've suffered from it most of my life. Just say "I'm Depressed". Your doctor will take it from there.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• btw, Vitamin B complex helps and I take over the counter 5-HTP when I feel an episode coming on. It helps me bc i won't take long term prescription meds

Answer by admckenzie at 3:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• *agrees with admckenzie* Vitamin B complex does help a lot! I was just researching this because I'm pretty sure when I was put on the pill after my daughter, it caused some major side effects, including depression. Now, when my period's about to come, I'm a mix of migraine, anger, vitriol, depression, and suicidal thoughts. I'm going to be going to a doctor soon to talk with her about this and I'm going to look into getting blood tests done for my thyroid (as I have a family history of thyroid issues) and possibly a swab for hormone imbalance.

If you're depressed, just say so. That's what the doctor is for! I echo the sentiment of MamaSpurg - careful if they just want to shove antidepressants down your throat. (I will smack mine if she suggests to me to go on the pill to even out my period!)

ANYWAY, my research lead me to also look into eating more iodine for my thyroid (found in seaweed, kelp, and yogurt), and probiotics.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 9:52 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Also, for my husband's depression, we put him on Omega 3,6,9's as well as some lecithin, it helps feed your brain so it functions properly.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 9:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• just do it
    Anonymous