Are you comfortable with letting your toddler play by themselves for extended periods of time?

My 13.5 month old daughter is totally okay with playing by herself most of the time. She's always wherever I go and in the same room with me, of course, but she seems to be very independent and only comes to me when she needs me. Is anyone else's kid like this?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 3:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when my older son was around a year and a half old we had the living room of our apartment completely childproofed...im talking outlet covers, furniture bolted, no accessible cords, blinds tied up, no choking hazards, corners fo furniture padded, the works....we had a baby gate at each of the doorways...he loved to play alone so i ran all over the house doing chores and homework and things...i always checked on him frequently, but he wouldnt have minded if i left him alone for a couple hours...lol
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 7:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My oldest one was like that. I say enjoy it now, but be aware her independent streak may cause problems for you down the road.

Anonymous

• I wish my kids were more independent and when they are being quiet and independent, they are usually up to no good at all. LOL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 3:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My oldest daughter was and still is like this, but now that she is four and has her own big girl bedroom she likes to go in there and play. But I still go in there and check on her frequently, lol... she is still my baby even if she doesn't want me calling her a baby. ; )
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My dd is like that too, Im not worried about it, I try and play with her a lot of the times, and she likes that too, but I dont mind letting her play by herself. Now that her brother is getting old enough to play she likes to play with him a lot, but still likes to go sit on her bed so she can play by herself sometimes. She is just very independent, which is nice, but can be a struggle when trying to get her to do things, because she has to do it all herself (shes 2 and a half)
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 3:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My DD is 20 months and since she was about that age she just plays on her own, recently she wants to involve us at times, but we just let her go. She can play for hours and hours by herself, when she wants our attention she comes and gets it. She will play with other kids when they are around but she won't push them if they don't want to, also she absolutely loves playing with the dog. I say let her be, the learn better without our interference in everything.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Indepedent play is a very good developmental stage. Even with other kids, children do not start really playing together until age 3-4. At that age, kids will play next to each other. Independent play requires her to think creatively, which is a VERY good thing later on. My 19 month old loves playing with us, but is very happy playing by herself. She already has learned to pretend, build with blocks, and loves to sing, dance, and color! Encourage the independence now, since there will be stages when they are very clingy
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 4:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My son is 16 months and has played by himself since he was an infant. It's very important to let them learn that independence and self reliance. My son likes for me to come in and play with him on occassion, but for the most part he like to play by himself. I do my chores, take care of my daughter, or do whatever else while he plays. I'm usually in the next room with a complete view of him in the living room, but sometimes I do go in and do chores in other rooms. Checking on him frequently.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• As long as she playing by herself and not actually alone, it should be fine.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 6:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• all 4 of mine were and still are very independent. I used to watch them from the sidelines wishing I was part of the fun. I love their imaginations .. I had baby gates,everything baby blocked so It was easy to let them loose in the playroom..i.e. frontroom..lol
    have fun they grow up way to fast ..sigh.
    momof4kids257

Answer by momof4kids257 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2010