Blanket question

My 3 year old has always liked to hide under the blankets in our bed with us around . I never gave her a blanket till she was 18 months in fear of her putting it over her head and sufficating . Well never had to worry after that she would always kick the blanket off most nights . Here the last few days she has been covering her head hiding from us in her bed . Now i am freaking out that she might sufficate herself if she hides under the blanket to long !! I tried explaining that it's not good to hid under blankies while mama and daddy aren't in the room becasue she could start not being able to breathe I know she didn't really fully understand what I was talking about . My hubby wants to take her twin sheet away since it's really big and she can really get her self wrapped in it which she thinks is hilarious and just leave her little toddler blanket for her but I am still even afraid of that one now !! What to do >?

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 3:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• the human body is a miraculous thing, did you know that it won't let you suffocate yourself? With the exception of something like a plastic bag you can't get off and you have to be really trying.
    not to mention that blankets are porous, air still gets through. she'll just get hot under there and either knowingly or unknowingly kick the blanket off.

the sheet - well, my SS broke his femur with one of those! got wrapped up in and fell and broke his leg. So she does need to learn not to wrap her self up in and try to walk around and such.
    Anonymous

• She is 3 which is old enough to understand when she is not able to breath well, if she can't breath well she will move the blanket.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:02 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• she wont be able to suffocate herself under a single blanket...shes three, she would know how to push it off of her face i would think...tell her if she ever gets stuck she better scream for you! IDK! kids do crazy things, its funny to her, but i truly dont see a three year old suffocating themselves in a single blanket!
    Anonymous

• Your daughter DOES understand what you're saying. Don't underestimate the intelligence of your child, because she is aware of a lot more then you clearly give her credit for. She is playing the game for that reason, that it is a game. She finds your reactions funny, or just the part of hiding funny, and continues to do it for fun. I agree with Anon :01 about the blanket. As far as the sheet goes, she needs a sheet that fits her bed properly. And if you need to secure it under the mattress with sheet latches then do so. You can also make a pillow case mattress cover out of fabric if you wanted.

My son has been using a blanket in his bed since the day he was born. I have never worried, because he always kicks them off during his sleep. He's only a year old and knows how to pull it on and off of him. Your daughter is three, she knows by now how to manuever a blanket. Give her some credit, would you?
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:16 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Under a blanket she wont suffocate, When we camp my kids are all down in the sleeping bag with a blanket over their head to keep warm. We have been camping since my oldest was 3. If anything she will just get very warm but it wont cause her to stop breathing.

Personally I have always slept with sheets and blankets over my head and I made it 33 years no problems.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Oh I KNOW is she smart always has been too smart for her own good.I DO give her credit but I am just a paranoid mama !! THanks girls !
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 4:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2010