I don't want Gov Aid!!!

Okay so DH lost his job about a year ago. He replaced the job in a few weeks but it was way less. I am still working and have added more hours. DH got a second job but it is min wage and not helping. We qualify for WIC and Child care assist and maybe food stamps but I don't want it at the same time out savings is dwindling and we are behind on the mortgage this month. what else can I do to avoid feeling a mooching gov. leach. Uhg the thought of buying food with a WIC coupon just makes me want to cry. We had a 7 months of savings though! We did everything right!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• Everytime there are taxes taken out of your and your husband's paycheck you are paying into government aid. Sometimes we all need alittle help. You are only taking part in something you have paid into for years. Humility is tough but sometimes we have to swallow our pride and do what we have to do. When you get back on your feet you can stop taking them.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 6:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I work at a Michigan Works agency. In MI (not sure where you are from or how they do it) anyone receiving these types of benefits are ordered to come to our office and turn in job leads each week. There are people who have been on it for years. Their files are so thick. It is obvious (all though we cannot prove it) that the leads the turn in are false. Many of these people have never had jobs and never paid into the taxes that support these programs. The programs were designed to help people like you. It's supplemental until you get back on your feet. Not only that but you have paid into it. There is nothing wrong with accepting help, as long as you are doing everything you can to become self sufficient.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 5:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Sometimes pride has to take a back seat to the well-being of your family. I didn't want government aid either, but when we found out I was pregnant(we could handle that) then found out that DH needed brain surgery, and I couldn't pay all our bills with 800/month and then buy groceries etc, we had to do something. Sometimes you do it all right and yucky stuff still happens. It doesn't mean you are leeching off the government or that you are taking advantage of the system or any of that nonsense. It just means that some situations can't be planned for and controlled. If you need it, take it. That's what those programs are for.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Did everything right according to who? Jobs are never secure, you never know when you will be able to find good ones.

Many people now are actually thinking smart and putting things in their hands, getting residuals.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:53 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• my only advice is to get off your high horse and take the assistance! it's there to HELP sure some people abuse it but if you truly need it, USE IT!
    is your pride more important than your children eating?
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry about the situation you're in. Many people are in the same situation. My DH was laid off last March and got a job six weeks later. Unfortunately, he's only making HALF of what he used to make. It's been a huge change for us. I know what you're going through. You guys did the best you could. You have to do what you have to do. If you qualify for any assistance USE IT. That's what it's there for. It's not like you're taking advantage of the system. I'd rather know someone like you is on it, versus some people who don't deserve it.

Best Wishes!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 8:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• nothing wrong with wic. Gees I hated it when we couldn't get it, then hubby got laid off and I got it! wic guidelines are pretty high (( $958 a week in my state))
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Take the aid - its there for folks like your family. The negative connotation comes from people who abuse the aid.

stephdan

Answer by stephdan at 1:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• THE AID IS THERE FOR TIMES LIKE THESE ,YOU ACTUALLY NEED IT ,YES THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO LITERALLY LIVE OFF OF IT BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO !
    Anonymous