Do you think SAHMs should always breastfeed?

Since they have all the time in the world to do stuff like that...

Don't you think it seems lazy to be a SAHM and formula feed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Breast feeding is a "personal choice' not something you have to do ...so No, not if they dont' want to .

MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 5:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• No, breastfeeding is not about time. There are many mothers that go to work that breastfeed. I was a SAHM for 8 months and I did breastfeed but I can see how for some women it does not work. I had a lot of problems and had to buy a $260 pump in order to do it. Some people are not in the financial situation to do that. Also being a SAHM is more work than most think. I thought it was going to be all fun and games until I did it and it was very hard. You never get a break. You are working 24/7. I was so resentful because my husband got to come home from work, and I never got to leave. Not to say that my children are work, but it is not as easy as some think. I give a lot of credit to the ones who do it.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 5:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Well first off, I'm a SAHM and I did breastfeed but I think someone is looking to start a fight.
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Yeah, it looks like a trouble maker. Personally I can't see NOT breastfeeding as a SAHM, because it's cheaper and FOR ME easier not messing with bottles, powder, warming, etc. But everyone has to make their own choices. And SAHMs have a lot to do. I have never heard anyone call a nanny, maid, or housekeeper lazy, but SAHMs get it all the time.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 6:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• nope, lazy would be not feeding your child at all.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• IMO, one of the advantages to breastfeeding is that once you get the hang of it, it's easy and convenient, so I don't really see how a SAHM that uses formula would be considered lazy compared to a breastfeeding mom if that's all you're comparing.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I think all moms should try to breastfeed whether they work or stay at home and that formula should only be available when there truly is a medical need for it.
    Anonymous

• I am a SAHM, have been for going on 10 years. I never breastfed and I don't think anyone "should" do anything other than what they want to do. I couldn't breastfeed for medical reasons and there are a lot of people out there who are in the same situation.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 6:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• If they can, but I think ALL moms should breastfeed if they can.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 7:09 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• SAHM's should breastfeed IF they want to. SAHM's should bottlefeed IF they want to. It's really not up to you or anyone else to make up silly "rules". Not your boobs? Then it's not your concern, right?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2010