What would you think of this? (If you don't spank ur kids DO NOT OPEN)

If you were at a family members home and the dh there is known to spank his kids bc this is the way he diciplines well the mom was having trouble with their 8 yr. old ds nothing seemed to work and everytime he would do something she would threaten him with his dad (sometimes it works) but that evening she had enough and called her dh from work and he just told her "to beat the shit out of him" she was like well it might work for you but not for me he does not take me serious he says that is your fault you should have never let him see the weak side of you now he doesn't respect you when you talk...I am like yeah he is right but men seem to look and sound more scarier then us woman.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If what you're trying to say is that it's impossible for a woman to effectively discipline her child without resorting to "beating the shit out of him", then I think you need to replace the captiain of your Brain Ship because she's drunk at the wheel.
    Anonymous

• I DO believe in spanking, but I do not believe in "beating the $hit out of a child". The woman you're referring to needs to get her children away from someone who advises her to beat them! Ugh. What a man that dh is!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• i agree with stefanieN84. i spank my kids but i dont beat the shit of them i barely spank there butt
    KaylaPollard

Answer by KaylaPollard at 6:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Ditto with stefanie on this....
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• The problem is she using threatening as her discipline. That never works especially if there's no follow thru. And you never use your spouse as a threat. She was basically telling her son not to respect her. Plus it's not fair to her DH. It makes him a punishment, the bad guy. If they spank she needs to start spanking him. I don't think it has anything to do with male/female, it has to do with who is a heavier hand. My DH is the heavy hand in our house, my SIL is in her house. I don't think he "beats the shit out of his kids" & advising someone to leave their DH for saying that is ridiculous. He was frustrated, he'd gotten pulled away from work to deal with his DS. Lots of people say the beat their kids butts or beat the heck of them when they're talking about spanking their kids. Why must we be so literal? None of you ever exaggerate when you talk? So hungry you could eat a horse, are you really going to eat a horse?
    Anonymous

• This woman needs to get a backbone. calling daddy is a cop-out for a week mother. She needs to get off her ass.
    Anonymous

• ha ha. i believe that spanking can be needed for some instances and children, but i have never had to spank. my Dh has spanked my SS, but that has been a while. he has since learned to behave without it. however, i dont believe that has anything to do with this woman's problem. she needs to stop threatening and relying on her DH. she needs to step up and have consequences and stick to them. if they are not listening still, i would have them stay in their room/beds or whatever consequence i have already established until DH got home to discuss with him what he thinks is best. however, in my home. SO and I are both disciplinarians. We have different styles, but both are effective for different situations.

i agree with anon38 and anon54
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I agree with Anon :54, the MOTHER needs to stop being so weak and deal with the child herself. Its only going to make the child fearful of the dad and know that his mother will not do anything. My husband tells me all the time to "beat the kids butts" obviously he just means to spank them. But, its more about consistency not spanking itself. My 2 y/o nephew listens to me before he listens to his mother because I am consistent with him and everytime he misbehaves he gets disciplined. With his mother sometimes he gets in trouble sometimes he doesn't.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:10 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• "Beating the shit" out of a child is ABUSE!!!!!!!!!!! BOTH those parents need to take a parenting class and learn apporpriate methods of discipline and the mother needs to stop being so lazy. If they don't find a consistent method of discipline, they are going to have much bigger problems on their hands when that child gets older and decides to "beat the shit" out of his mother when she tells him NO.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I agree that the mother needs to step up. your kids will never respect you if you threaten and then dont follow thru. I spank my daughter ( well I have like 4 or 5 times) she knows that I will tell her NO once and after that i'll swat her. Luckily she is a good kid. But calling daddy to discipline is just asking to be walked all over when the child grows up.
    LolaRae

Answer by LolaRae at 4:08 AM on Feb. 23, 2010