Why can you pick and chose what parts of the bible to follow?

Why do you pick and chose what verse to follow in the bible?
ex. of ignored verses...
"But if ... evidences of virginity are not found for the young woman, then they shall bring out the young woman to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death with stones..." (Deuteronomy 22:20,21)

"Women should be silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak, but should be submissive, as the law also says." (1 Corinthians 14:34)

I know people will say either things shoulnt be taking literally or that those verses are not meant for the times. Then why the hell do christians find homosexualliy sinful or even blasphemy or anything really. If you irgnore some words of God why not deny the whole freakin' holybook?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• OH SNAP!!!!
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I can see OP is not a believer, so why even bother to answer? Nothing said will satisfy.
    Anonymous

• The Bible is a book of stories, you think ppl would figure that out by now. Other than "stories" being passed down, just as there is no one left from the civil war to tell us what really happend back then, there is no one to tell us on half the stuff in the Bible. My church used to say "Oh we live by the NEW testament now"...funny because how many times did you hear the whole 10 commandments preached from the pulpit and that of course is OLD testament..I believe there is a God who created us all ,there's karma, do whats right...simple as that....

It's funny looking back, my parents were SO religious I wasn't allowed to read about Snow White because of the "witch", or about Cinderella 'cause of the magic...those things were "bad".

Yet, "stories" told to me as a child were about a talking snake in a garden, a world that was somehow flooded with water & somehow two animals one of each sex all went to an ark on their own. etc
    Anonymous

• bc they don't know any better, someone didn't teach them right.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:07 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• You need to study the history and politics of the time.

Adultery and fornication are still considered sins as they were in that Duet verse. But Deuteronomy outlines more than just eternal morals. It also outlines the whole political system of the Israelites. It goes over all the details of how the judges work, and what punishments were used in their nation, etc.

Women shouting from one side of the church to the other during a service (as was the historical context of that verse) is still rude today. The church wasn't it's own political organization at the time, it existed separate from national governments, so you don't see punishments outlined like you see in Deuteronomy, you just see the church leaders essentially saying "knock it off! and hoping people choose to follow, rather than having a political enforcement in place.
    Anonymous

• Smart are those who question things like this, is all I have to say about it. I don't believe in just "believing something'......I was raised christian, very conservative, homeschooled, wore skirts, never cut my hair, the word "crap" was the whole nine yards. Ignorant people are the ones I've found who just conform to everything,....
    Anonymous

• I have asked the same question. All I get are excuses and nothing solid to explain this.
    Jenna66

Answer by Jenna66 at 6:13 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

----

But isn't this the perfect time for "believers" to set the record straight? Wouldn't you want to take a opportunity to explain the Truth to the OP? Or are you just not secure enough in your faith to do so? Can you not answer her questions because they are good intellectual questions? Only those who are truly insecure in their faith would answer the way you have...
    Anonymous

• "I can see OP is not a believer, so why even bother to answer? Nothing said will satisfy."

I agree with the anon in this instance, I usually will answer questions like this. But I am seriously tired of doing it for people who don't REALLY want an answer.

SOOOooooo, OP You are not a Christian. You don't need to follow ANY of the Biblical standards, and you don't need to worry about why I follow certain verses, and yet still eat shrimp. If you ever REALLY want to know, I will explain it. But right now I don't feel like wasting my time with another person who is just upset that the Bible homosexuality is a sin.

You don't follow the Bible anyways, so don't worry about it. No one is going to stone you : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• How do you know the OP is infact a Christian that takes the bible literally? Any how not answering the questions means you do not have an answer! SO yeah meaning you’re probably a hypocrite.
    Anonymous