how do you safely take a baby outside?

i am so bored and it's beautiful outside... but its bright too. does she need sunscreen on her head? is a blanket in the grass good enough or should i take her bouncy seat out? if she cries i'm going to be embarassed because the neighbors out. i am really really terrified to take my baby outside, what is wrong with me? i'm also scared to leave her by the window incase a car from the road plows through the house. yeah i'm a first timer here. and a worrier i guess. i can't stay in the house forever though, she's 3.5 months

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have a friend who can help you take your baby out? You might be less scared if you had a helper with you...I am a worrier and always felt SO much more relaxed when I had someone else with me. Maybe invite another mom? Once you do it a few times it will get easier...I was always terrified to drive with my baby, afraid of getting into an accident....she's 9 months now and it's a lot less stressful...you just get used to things after a while. Don't beat yourself up!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• You are being quite silly, a blanket its fine, you can do sunscreen if it is very bright and sunny, and if she cries nobody is going to care she is a baby and that is what they do. You also might have post pardom depression paranoia that is this late is a good sign so you may want to go talk to a doctor. Good luck and go out it is good for you both.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• i've never heard of ppd paranoia
    Anonymous

• That is actually a very good sign of it some people are completely detached and others are paranoid over everything and can't relax because of fear something 'might' happen to their baby.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• A blanket in the grass is a nice idea. A sun hat will work well if you don't want to use sunscreen. If all you're worried about is general first time mommy jitters, I wouldn't worry about PPD. But if you've got other things going on, it's possible. Babies DO cry, so don't worry about her crying in front of the neighbors. But, being outside, and having fun, she might NOT cry. Have fun!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Yes, people who suffer from depression often fear that something horrible will happen to their loved ones. I had paranoia with mine. I always worried that my baby wouldn't wake up, or we'd die in a car wreck, or we'd have some sort of horrible accident and die. It's a huge part of depression. I agree with the previous poster, go see the doctor.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 6:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• You can't put sunscreen on a baby. Read the bottle.

Take your baby out when it isn't peak burn time, 10 -2. Put on clothes that protect including a hat if the baby is going to be out in the sun. Keep the baby in the shade. Some babies can burn very easily and you have to be extra careful with them. Ususlly babies with red or white hair or other fair skin babies.

You can put your baby in a sling and that will protect the baby from the sun, germs, and people touching the baby. The baby can nurse with nothing showing and fall asleep.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Gailll - they make sunscreen for babies so DUH! you can use it on babies! LMAO at that one!

I had paranoia like you're describing, it was caused by my PPD, so you might want to discuss it with your doctor sweetie. There are things that can help you! I was TERRIFIED of walking by stairs that went down! I was fine going up but if the stairs went down HOLY PANIC ATTACK BATMAN! ;o)

a blanket is fine, but if you want, use the bouncey chair! :) either is fine. Like I said above, baby sunscreen is just fine. or get a soft hat, like the bucket hats or a cute little cloth bonnet type hat.
    Anonymous

• thnks- i don't have medical insurance so there is no doctor to see. i don't think i'm depressed, i just think i think way too much. and yes i am always thinking of scenarios that could happen. always, about everything, always have.
    Anonymous

• They don't make sunscreen for young babies. I've researched it and talked to my allergist/immunologist about it. So there.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2010