Would you join the Army (or any military branch) AFTER having children?

Just a thought... I had a strong desire to join the Army after graduating, I didn't, but I've been just thinking about how other moms do it. I'm not sure that I could leave my daughter, or the baby that I'm pregnant with now. So, would you? Or have you??? Why? What was it like? And how did your family react?

wishwish

Asked by wishwish at 6:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I couldn't do it I have friends that are military and it kills them leaving their kids on deployments and TDY if you don't need to or if it isn't your calling I wouldn't it is hard on families.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Hell no, now that I see I have something to live for, MY CHILD, what the hell would I want to go off and fight a pointless war for and risk getting injured or killed? That's just f'ing stupid.
    Anonymous

• truealaskanmom- I'm really not sure if I could right now, but if it came down to really needing to fight for my family, like if the military needed more soldiers, I think I would. I felt it was my calling at one time, but then I found other passions. ;)

Anon :10- I'm really not trying to be rude, but those men and women that are in the military are fighting for YOUR freedom! So is that pointless? They are risking their lifes, leaving their family and children for YOU, they all have someone to live for also, but are willing to risk their lifes for them and every other person...! If I were you, I would choose better words next time.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 6:32 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Also just so that you know I would not join the army I would pick the air force they really are the best branch when it comes to families.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't join the military whether I had kids or not.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• i am with sara. you sign your life (well at least your rights) away. i dont think you should.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:16 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I was in the Navy and got pregnant a year in. I saw women that had to sign their kids over to someone else. It was really sad. (Meaning they had full right to things with medical and school and whatever else.) You sign a Dependent Care plan and it says if you get deployed this is the person that is going to take your kid for however long your gone. Luckily for me my husband and I were both active duty. They just transferred me straight to shore duty so I wouldn't have to deploy anymore. My husband still deployed. I personally couldn't do it. Like knowingly sign on knowing I'd be away from them? But women do it all the time. You could always do reserves for a couple years first and see how you feel..
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 8:18 PM on Feb. 20, 2010