Temper tantrums.

My son is turning 18 months old and is already starting to throw huge tantrums and fits when he doesn't get his way. Usually i just lay him down and let him throw his fit until he's done and wants to play again. Should i be doing something differently?

Aidenchand

Asked by Aidenchand at 7:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 18 mo and has been doing the same thing. It is such a hard age, because while they understand a lot, it is hard to say just how much they do. I do the same thing, I let her have a moment and throw a fit, but recently I have started picking her up and sitting her in a particular place in our house and tell her she is on a timeout. Then I sit there, across from her for about 30 sec-1 minute and tell her she needs to go say sorry (usually to her sister, or mommy or daddy--depending on the crime). Then she goes and gives that person a hig and a kiss--so I know she understands. That has been working for us, but I know every kid is different.
    THEhappyhourmom

Answer by THEhappyhourmom at 7:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• consistency, i believe is the most important thing. if this happens in public you may need to come up with another method.
    good luck to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2010