Stupid question but...

If your home alone and need a shower..ya know to get ready for work or whatever and you have a 3 year old..Would it be safe to just let him be? Doors are locked I popped in a movie..He SHOULD be ok right? I mean theres nothing he really could get into. Ill explain if he needs anything to come and tell me and when Im done Ill help him but until then just to watch his movie..

Thoughts?

LovingZachary09

Asked by LovingZachary09 at 8:04 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would pop the movie in for him and tell him your going to shower. My DD is 22 months old and I put her in her crib with a few toys and a book and tell her I am going to shower I keep the door open and I can hear her with the water running she always saids to me momma wash butt time :~) LOL
    Anonymous

• I can't and I won't. I won't shower unless my hubby's home - so if that means taking one early in the morning before he leaves, or taking one late at night after he's home, that's when I do it. And yes, it means I don't get one every day.
    Anonymous

• I've done that. I leave the door open so I can hear him, and make sure it's a very quick shower. More often than not though, he comes in there and wants to "pee" but basically just sits on the toilet talking to me LOL
    Anonymous

• I do it every day. My daughter is almost 3, and I've pounded it into her head that she doesn't try to answer the door, (She can't work the deadbolt anyway) and we've never had an issue with it. I did this with my 6 year the whole time she was growing up too.
    But just like 2 weeks ago the 3 yr old came and told me that someone was at the door. My heart stopped for a second thinking about it but I said what did you do? She said- tell you!! And I ran to look out the window and it was a UPS man driving away. It was kinda scary. It was the first time someone has ever knocked while I was in the shower for that 10 min window during the day... But she did the right thing, she didn't try to open it, she just came and told me.
    So I think it depends on the kid and how much you really talk to them over and over about it.
    Anonymous

• girl go get in the shower he will be fine. just explain to him the rules and keep the bathroom door open
    Anonymous

• Why not just put him in the shower with you? My son is two and that's what I do. I don't think you should hide your body from him.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• @sarap1989..Im not hiding it from him..lol. I take him in the shower with me all the time. Its just he already has had his shower for the night and I need to get one.
    LovingZachary09

Answer by LovingZachary09 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Yeah, sounds fine. He's 3 and that is big enough to understand to not go running out into the street or play with scissors.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:35 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I am "worst case scenario" mom and wouldn't do that here. Even if you think the room you are leaving your wee one is is totally child proofed...I still wouldn't be ok with it. Stuff like electrical cords or choking on some random thing...I don't know I just wouldn't.

But I'm weird too so...*shrug*
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:57 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Depends on your 3yo. I know mine is perfectly capable of sitting for 30 minutes while I do something else. In fact she can sit for an hour and watch TV while I take a nap. She does it all the time. I leave what she does up to her. Usually she watches TV and colors or she plays with her toys in her room. Our shower isn't even on the same floor as her room and the living room. I only usually get like 15 minutes before she's banging on the door wanting to pee, lol.
    She knows what she is and isn't allowed to do or play with.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2010