Do any of you use your boobs to shut up your baby?

Recently I started to feel guilty because I realized I am no different than moms who pop a bottle/binky in their baby's mouth to keep them quite. I am a WAHM and when my 1 year old gets fussy and wants me to hold her I often just stick my boob in her mouth, not even attempting to see if she wants something else (not always, but often times when I am stressed and can't handle the fussiness, or if I have someone on the phone for business). Is she going to be obese because I just feed her when she is fussy? Please tell me I am not the only one up for the worst mother of the year award...

THEhappyhourmom

Asked by THEhappyhourmom at 8:08 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That's the only thing that ever shut my youngest up ..Instantly..

Anonymous

• No, you are not a bad mom! I got to tell you when I read the title of this question, I cracked up, had a mental image.

Answer by older at 8:26 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• if she didnt want the breast she wouldn't take it. So, don't feel so bad! your her version of a binky.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 8:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• -shakes head-
    Anonymous

• lol, i'm doing it now!
    Anonymous

• It is perfectly fine and no she will not be obese. They suck differently for food then they do for comfort and comfort nursing is just fine for them. I was a SAHM with my first and I was his binky, but my second didn't want it as much and it didn't work to shut her up as easily.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I don't think its a bad thing, but you may want to transition her to an object, like a blankie or a favorite toy that she can use to self-soothe too. She should start working on being able to soothe herself sometimes, but always know that Mommy's there to help whenever she needs it.
    Anonymous

• nope, its actually the BEST thing you could do. You just highlighted the reason we have breasts- to nourish and comfort.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Hope she finds an alternative comfort object before she starts school...
    Anonymous