What could be wrong?

My almost 7 month old has had a bad cold/cough for 3 days now. He has also had a fever which is under control. But today he has not pooped at all. His little tummy also seems a little bloated and he's been tooted HORRIBLE smelling toots...so bad that I'm actually gagging. He seems like he's trying to go and has been crying a lot. I have been giving him a little grape and apple juice to make sure he stays hydrated because he wasn't nursing very well. Could he be constipated or have an upset tummy from the juice? I thought juice was supposed to help with that? What can I do to help him feel better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• juice helps with constipation, so I highly doubt that the constipation is from the juice. An upset tummy from it though is probably an issue since juice is very acidic.

when he looks like he's trying to poop, lay him down and gently push his knees towards his chest. and it will work better if he pushes against you but you can't really make a baby do that ;)

1 day of constipation is not a real big deal, but if he hasn't gone by monday, I'd call the pediatrician.

fever burns off a lot of fluids in the body, and if poop doesn't have enough fluid in it, it makes it very hard.

good luck momma!
    Anonymous

• call the pedi
    Anonymous

• I would say it's constipation. The fact that he hasn't been nursing well would suggest it. He may not be dehydrated, but he's still not getting the normal amount of fluids that he would be getting, and that causes bowel irregularity. Just keep forcing fluids into him and it should help loosen things up.
    Anonymous

• The juice could possibly not agree w/ him. Especially if he is not used to it. Try just giving him water. When My daughter was constipated the dr recommended to mix prun juice w/ her drinking water. not a lot of course just a little maybe once or twice a day. an ounce or two. Hope he feels better soon!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My pediatrician said to put a spoonful of corn syrup in their bottle if they are constipated, we did, and it worked. No harmful side effects, it just helps the poo slide right out!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 9:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Call the Dr asap because there shld not be a fever present w constipation. As far as the Karo syrup, try probiotics instead. Google it you can get it at Whole foods. A little powder in the bottle. It's a life saver and not empty calories like corn syrup.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• What kind of formula do you use?
    Anonymous

• I don't use formula...he's EBF.
    Anonymous

• give him water. pepermint oil on bottom of feet for fever and eucolyptus oil mixed with olive oil in a container for his chest. the herbal way
    candeeapple

Answer by candeeapple at 12:48 AM on Feb. 21, 2010