What do I do if my dog dies?

Cuz I've never owned one before her even as a kid. The only pet I've ever had was a cat who ended up getting pregnant and running away. I'm not too interested in burying her, maybe cremation, I just don't want the remains to scare my children. My dog is pretty healthy but this question just popped up one day in my head and I realized I had no clue what to do if she dies in my house. She is about 10 years old if you were wondering, a german shepherd mix.

Pristine_Dream

Asked by Pristine_Dream at 9:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Pets

• I had mine cremated, she now sits on my shelf with some pictures of my mom and grandparents, all who have passed away. My DD thinks I'm strange, but she thought Edward Scissorhands was cute!
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• We just took ours to the vet and paid them to dispose of the remains.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Ask the vet if you can drop the body off for cremation.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• You can also call the city to pick up a dead animal from the property, but that is just too harsh to watch. They just scoop up the body with a shovel and dump it into the back of the truck. Not kewl for a beloved pet.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• You give it a proper burial and mark the spot in your back yard. This will teach your kids about death, and some spot to remember the dog by. Scary would be if she just disappeared without an explanation.

Answer by older at 9:27 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• You can take the dog to the vet and they will handle the remains. If you want to have the ashes back, they can put them in a little tin box...that's what we had done with our dog when she died. No child would even know their were remains in there.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I would have it stuffed and hang it on my wallhave a good night

staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Do NOT just leave it with the vet to dispose of, all they do is throw it in a freezer in a plastic bag until the trash man comes and (depending on state laws) takes it to the dump where it's throw on the heap or incinerated. That is no way to handle the remains of a beloved pet. I would suggest burying her in the back yard or having her cremated.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• we buried ours in the back yard.
    Anonymous

• Older, I'd definitely explain what happened. But I can give an equally beautiful funeral with just the ashes. I'd rather not have to deal with a toddler's nightmares of dead animal carcasses if I can avoid it.
    Pristine_Dream

Answer by Pristine_Dream at 9:33 PM on Feb. 20, 2010