My 15 month old rebelling against her naps.

We've had a tough couple weeks and was wondering if anyone could help shed some light on our little struggle. My 15 month old has always gone down for her two one-hour-long naps great, with hardly a fuss. All of a sudden this past week she has been struggling to go down! Not just resisting, but getting all upset and crying through them till she couldn't calm herself down. I was lucky if she managed to get 30 min. of naptime each day. I tried to make up for it by putting her to bed a little early. She has still been sleeping through the night, which is around 11-12 hours (except for one night, probably cuz she was so sleep deprived), but I am a bit on edge here. Doc said she's healthy, no ear infections or tempterature. Is this a developmental thing, a phase? I was going to try and transition to one nap soon, but now she's fighting to go down no matter what I try! Help! P.S. She definitely still needs her nap....

Asloml

Asked by Asloml at 9:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids are 18 months and still need at least one nap a day (sometimes they still have 2 depending on the day). They don't always want to do down but I plop them in their cribs and let them CIO. They have eachother for company so usually they won't freak out too much and it's rare that they won't sleep at all but there are days....Even if they don't sleep they stay in their cribs and play or chat with eachother. Mommy needs a break!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My son will be 15 months next week and has been doing the exact same thing this last week. He has always taken 2 decent naps through out the day. And lately he has been horrible. And will scream and cry and cry. Yesterday he didnt nap at all. And after many attempts today he got a hour one in. But hes still been cranky from being tired so its not enough. If you figure anything out let me know.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• dd quit taking her second nap around 15mos.... i was soooo disappointed because I got so much more work done! She was getting easily 10-12 hours of sleep at night but was ready to loose that second nap. So we went to one. At around 20 mos she skipped the nap altogether and hasn't taken naps at all in at least 6 mos (unless we stick her in our only car but usually dh has it). She's 27 mos and gets tired but won't lay down. Her bedtime is 730 and she wakes up between 630-1000 but it really depends
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• She may just be going through a nap time change (time of day for example) Mine is just 13 months but he only takes one nap most days. Often (but not always) he goes down 3.5 - 4 hours after he first wakes up. If I put him down and he talks to himself or just mildly fusses then I will leave him there and see what happens. If he starts crying or getting REALLY fussy I get him back up and try again in about 15 or 20 minutes. Not sure if it would work for you or not but it might be worth a try. Good Luck
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:08 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• ITS normal. The babe is just fighting sleep.
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• my son did the same. now, i wake him up earlier, that extra half hour in the morning means he is tired and willing to nap in the afternoon, and still goes to bed on time.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2010