What age should a mother be "Okay" with her teenage SON having sex?

Will you be treating him like your teenage daughter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think there's a good teenage age,to start having sex. But if he thinks he must then he should know all about save sex, and about all the concenquences, and diceases out there, And about being respondsible one way or another if something happenes.(gets some one pregnant)gl;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:50 AM on Feb. 22, 2010

• I don't know about being "okay" with it....but I've already told my husband that I'm going to have the sex talk with the boys before they are teenagers and when they are 13 I'm just going to put a box of condoms in the bathroom cabinet with all the rest of the toiletries. I will do my best to make them feel comfortable in talking to me, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I know that kids do stupid things sometimes and I don't want some pissed off dad beating on door one day telling my son knocked up his daughter lol.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My husband's 12 year old nephew became a father December 9th 2009. And he had a condom in his wallet (cause THAT is the safest place to carry one...ffs). Of course this child had nobody to sit him down and tell him the consequences of having sex. Talk about finding out the hard way.

GL!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• We had the same standards and values and expectations for our teenage son too. He waited until he was 18 and in love and used contraception and was very responsible, respected his girl friend. Then they broke up and he didn't have another relationship until he got engaged after graduating from college. It is possible to raise a son who respects women and doesn't think of sex as recreation
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:25 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• When they are ready and willing to accept the possible consequences, they won't hear a peep from me.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:51 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• 17... I guess, but hope he waits!.. if he chooses to do it, he better be protected!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• That's tough to say. I think I would have the "talk" with my boys before they hit 14. I didnt lose my virginity til I was 18, and well, that's how I got my oldest. I have friends that were having sex at 12. As the years pass it seems the age one starts to have sex gets younger. Def have the "talk".
    Kali177

Answer by Kali177 at 1:32 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I am not comfortable with my son or daughter having sex as teens. I have heard from mothers of girls that it's okay for boys to have sex and that with girls "it's just different." I say, no it is not. The angry father of a pregnant 16 year old girl could easily come pound on the boy's parents door. And I feel that a child is both the boy and girl's responsibility. I am not okay with my kids having sex until they are old enough to have an education, be married and have a good paying job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• When he's out of high school or college (same as I would if I had a daughter). As long as they are dependant on us for clothing, for food, for paying ANY bills in their lives, for shelter, etc. then they are NOT ready to step in to the realities of having sex. We taught our sons from the time that they were old enough to ask about sex, about how old you had to be to have sex, etc. that sex is for adults and that the definition of an adult is someone is financially caring for themselves & living on their own. For my oldest he waited until he was engaged to his now wife who he met at 20 & married 2 weeks after he turned 21. For my 2nd son he waited until he was 18 and with his now wife. My younger 2 are still in high school as are their girlfriends and none of them are ready for the commitment of sex. They are all very level headed teens who have plans and life goals.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I have a 14 year old boy and it would be a cold day in hell before I give him enough rope to hang himself. He is not allowed to date until he is 16, period. We had the sex talk a few years ago and I continue to tell him that I expect him to keep it in his pants until he is man enough to raise a child without ANY assistance from me,the gov't or anyone or anything. I quite frankly would whoop his ass hardcore if he would be stupid enough to have sex before he is ready for it. He knows my expectations and this mom makes it clear that there is no room for screw ups like that in his life. Now what he does with what I tell him is his choice, but you damn well better believe there will be hell to pay if he don't listen and momma finds out!!!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:25 AM on Feb. 21, 2010