Starting solids

I left my daughter's 6 month appt completely confused about how to go about starting solids. I know I shoukd only introduce one new food every few days, but how much do I give her at breakfast and lunch? And when do I feed her rice cereal? Similarly she used to eat rice cereal without a problem and now she refuses. Not sure if it's because she has been sick.

marleysmom818

Asked by marleysmom818 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, for the first couple weeks with both my boys I mixed a teaspoon of rice in an once of milk/formula, whichever you feed them. Then a you could add a teaspoon of babyfood. I went through veggies first, the orange ones then the green ones, as in sweet potatoes, squash, carrotts, green beans, peas....then after the veggies begin with fruit. Start veggies first so they don't get the taste buds for sweets, which are fruits. I did each a whole week before switching to next. And i mixed an ounce of milk with a little of babyfood, thickening it over time until it was just then babyfood. So not to shock their system. As far as time of days, did breakfast first for a few weeks then added at dinner time. Then at lunch. This is just more for a routine and schedule than for nutrition. Hope that all makes sense!!! It is a fun learning process!!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Rice cereal is bland and tasteless. I wouldn't want to eat it either. I wouldn't bother with it at all.

At this point, just a few spoonfuls a day of food is enough. She should still be getting the majority of her nutrition from breast milk or formula.
    Anonymous

• oh yeah, and the rice cereal is more just to get their systems used to substinence, not a nutrition thing.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Ugh, it is confusing. My son started eating real food at 3 months, HATED that "cereal" crap, and never had baby food out of a jar. He ate 2-3 new foods a week, and has no allergies. He had eggs, etc, etc, all the things they tell you not to feed the kid. (Except honey and peanut butter of course!) Depending on your childs enthusiasm and rate of allergies in your family, just put what you're eating in a food processor and give it to her.
    Now, if you want to do it "by the book" It's one new food every 2-3 days, make sure you know exactly what she had, and wait to see if she has an allergy. If not, continue. They say something about starting with veggies, then fruit, then meat? Not really sure. If you don't get a satisfactory answer call the pediatrician and ask again!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• A few spoonfuls at a time for each food worked fine when we were starting out, mixed in with rice cereal, then eventually baby food on its own.

I actually love the taste of plain rice cereal...sometimes I steal a few spoonfuls, LOL
    Mama2Claire09

Answer by Mama2Claire09 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Just started my son!!! Awesome website.... www.wholesomebabyfood.com .....makes everything easy! My son hates cereal, no biggie....its not needed! Start with sweet potatoes! up to 4oz a day....just do a little for breakfast, little for lunch. each for 4 days straight to test for reaction! my son just had his 1st reaction after the 4th day of bananas.
    EricaPotter

Answer by EricaPotter at 10:40 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• dont forget to mix in breast milk or formula to help w/ the transtition :) check out the site above for food charts....i would follow b/c babies get constipated easily and thats a nightmare!!! be wise....babies tummies arnt the same as ours!!!
    EricaPotter

Answer by EricaPotter at 10:43 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Remember that breastmilk or formula is the main food. Bottle or breast first,. whatever baby wants in solids AFTER that. That's why you weren't given amounts...the amount isn't important. A teaspoon a day is fine. More is OK too IF baby's had bottle or breast first. Solids at this age are for eating experience, nothing more.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:28 PM on Feb. 21, 2010