People that replied they wld shoot the intruder question??

Do you own a gun? Hubby has a license to carry but I'm nervous to keep one in with the baby around. I do live in the city though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes lots of them (live in the country) but would still own them if I lived in the city (probably more!!! ) be safe with them around little ones (gun cabinets are nice) Kepp them up really high if still an infant but once a toddler make sure you gun case or something!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 9:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Yup. We have a shotgun (unloaded) and a 9mil (that we keep loaded) Both are registered and legal.

We keep the loaded gun on a shelf that my husband built on the inside of my closet above the door. So it's totally impossible for my kids to reach it. They don't even know that it's there, it's so hidden. But they do know that we have a gun. We let them look at it and see what it looks like and have taught them that they never touch guns and if they're at someone elses house and find one they runaway and tell an adult.
    I'd rather have them well educated and know what to do in a serious situation that unprepared..

Oh! and we live in a town. Not city, but not country either...
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 10:01 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Yes If I was really worried about my safety I would have a gun, but honestly the thought of having one scares me too.

On the radio two days ago there was a story of a 38 year old women who shoot her 21 year old son twice in the groin. The son was waring a ski mask because he was trying to scare his mother as a joke. The police think maybe he was really trying to rob his mother. I think he was robbing his mother, talk about a rough neighborhood.  I guess he learned the hard way not to rob someone you know owns a firearm.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Not sure where the other question is... but I have lots of guns here, they are locked up however so the kids can't get to them.. however it's got a glass front so we can break it if needed to get to the in a hurry. And, Yes I would shoot and intruder as long as they were in my home.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:10 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• As your kids get older, a good thing to do is safety courses abut guns.. this helps kids have not only an understanding, but a respect toward firearms. Very seldom do you hear of a kid having an accident with a gun in the country.. when they do, it's normally from lack of knowledge and respect. Same in the city.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:12 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Not sure where the other question is either. But I refuse to touch a gun. DH owns a couple but they are kept at his fathers house. If an intruder tried to get in I'd use the least amount of force possible and then run to safety.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I would love one. I had one for a few years but it was stolen from my apartment... My Dh has a felony on record so he can't own one... But I love to shoot. I used to love to go to the range... Now, if someone came in - I keep a bread knife in the drawer next to the bed...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• We have guns, my husband used to use them for hunting. Our kids know about gun safety, and the guns and ammo are not kept in the same place. In fact, I believe we have no ammo at the moment. The guns are in the back of the walk-in closet, in the back of the house. The kids know where they are, but they have no desire to touch them. All the mystery and "coolness" of them has been dispelled by our talks about gun safety.

However, I would hesitate to shoot an intruder. I think I'd rather just try to get the hell out. My dh would probably shoot them though.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• A child raised in a home with guns and taught gun safety their entire life is always safer than the child who has been sheltered from them their entire life - because which one is more likely to play with one if they find one at a third child's house? I know my child, who has had safety ingrained into him since he was old enough to toddle, will never touch it and run and find a grown up. Can those who shelter their children be as sure?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:14 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I agree with NotPanicking about safety, it is much better to teach your kid how to take it seriously and be safe.

My hubby has a liscence but we don't have any guns in our house at the moment. He keeps them at his dad's house.

But I want to be ready to protect my family. When I was younger my house was broken into 5 times. So I am terrified of home invasion. The first time I was in 3rd grade and my mom and I came home from school. There were two men in our house and they had my dad's loaded guns. We ran across the street and called the police. I have never gotten over that. Plus my teacher's husband was killed in a home invasion robbery. I am forever checking to see if the doors are locked!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:06 PM on Feb. 21, 2010