Shoot to injure, or shoot to KILL?

The other night my husband and I were talking about the pros and cons of having a gun in the house--whether or not it would be good to have for reasons of safety. This then turned to a debate of whether or not we would shoot to injure an intruder, or shoot to kill. He says go for the leg. I say go for the head. Sounds AWFUL, but if the safety of my children comes into play, I think I would shoot to kill. You shouldn't be in my home, I will do what it takes to protect. Plus if they have a gun and you shoot their leg that will really make them mad and you'll really be in trouble. Right?

THEhappyhourmom

Asked by THEhappyhourmom at 10:50 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Shoot to injure. I'd never want to kill anyone unless absolutely necessary for defense purposes. If injuring the intruder would be enough, that's all I'd aim for.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I just go through stating in the other question, it is highly highly unlikely that you will actually hit a moving target with the adrenaline pumping through your veins. There is a big difference between shooting at a target for practice and shooting at a moving target that has invaded your home, no matter how good of a shot you are.
    Anonymous

• my husband is military, and he always says shoot to kill. He swears that if you don't kill they can sue or something. IDK i have heard of burgulars getting hurt "on the job" i suppose and sueing, and stupid enough WINNING! The court system sucks sometimes
    Anonymous

• I would just aim and hope for the best... LOL
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• For some strange reason, Anon 11:09 sounds right.
    I'd just make sure he/she/they are inside of your house at the time. I thought I heard if they have already outside you can't do anything. That they no longer pose a threat to you.
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 11:15 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Honestly, I WANT to say I would just shoot to injure, but with adrenaline going and the thought of my babies being hurt, I would probably shoot to kill. And I have heard of families of burglars suing someone after their loved one was killed. So, you are kinda screwed either way. Jsut make sure they are still INSIDE your home when you fire the shot!
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• BUT, when you have a gun, you have to keep it locked up in a safe spot and not loaded, when there are kids in the house. SO, how would you have the time to unlock the gun, then load it, then avoid being shot by the intruder while getting your gun ready to shoot??? You would be shot dead before your gun was even loaded. SO...good luck with that.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you for all the reasons you mentioned plus one more. In some staes your better off shooting them dead cause if you just injure them they can turn around and sue you. Total BS! One reason I love Texas
    (not that I live there) you can legally shoot anyone who comes onto your property.
    outofmymind26

Answer by outofmymind26 at 11:45 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Your husband is right. Shoot for the leg first. If they go for a weapon, THEN you shoot for the head.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:54 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My husband was in the Military too and he wouldn't agree with you. We never had a gun. Our neighbor whose house was robbed told us that their FIL who was in the FBI told them to just allow the intruders to tale whatevr they want and to leave and they wouldn't call the cops. An FBI agent should know....I agreed. They could have everything they wanted. You can always buy stuff. But how can you live with yourself if you take someone's life? For some stuff?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Feb. 21, 2010