how many of you put a coat on your toddler?

I was just wondering how many of you put a coat on your toddler when leaving the house? Im having a debate with someone who says she never puts a coat on her 1 year old because of the safety factor with her not being in her car seat snug enough. So she just wraps her up in a blanket. And we live in the north where it is really cold every day. I myself wouldnt leave the house without putting my sons coat, hat, and gloves on. His coat isnt so bulky that he doesnt fit safely in his seat. And when its really cold, cuz we do have days where it goes way way below zero with wind chill, and I will wrap him up as well. In my eyes there is no reason why the child should suffer and be cold while being taken out to the car. And uncovered in order to be put in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, there is a proper way for a child to wear a coat in a carseat, there's a video on youtube for it.

I live in FL now so I don't have to worry about much more than a sweatshirt type coat, but back where we used to live, yes they wore coats. Sure it was a short distance to the car, but for walking through parking lots and such, they needed a coat!
    Anonymous

• well my son is 2 he has a very bulky warm coat and I make him ( and he wants to ) put his jacket hat and mittens on. You should always be able to adjust the straps on the carseat to strap them in safely and snuggly each time, I know I adjust them daily because depending on what's he's wearing, ti could mean he's way too tight or not snug enough.. short sleeve shirt or very bulky outfit. I live in MN and it gets below zero. I couldn't imagine getting in a accident and having my son freeze because I decided he wasn't comfy in his carseat.and a blaknet won't do much good in a car accident
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• The thing is, you don't want your child to get too warm while sitting in the car. Most likely, the heat will be turned on. You don't want your child to be sweating. I would put a long-sleeve shirt and a sweater, along with gloves and a hat on the child. Wrap them in a blanket, then RUSH them to the car. Then, when you're exiting the car to run your errands, put on the coat then.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:19 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I dont crank the heat up that high. If I am comfortable then he is most likely comfortable.
    Anonymous

• i put on sweatshirts and jackets. the only time i won't put the heavy coat on is if we are going to go on a long trip. long trips can get warm in my car since its black, so i want her to be comfortable. for me a blanket would be a pain in the butt. it would be falling everywhere and i would have to scavenger for the right one. lol. and i am not someone who is going to mess with putting a coat on and off again for errands in a nd out. i don't let my SKs take their coats off in the car unless its a long trip, so i am not going to do it with my daughter either. if they take them off, then they will not put them back on or wont zip them up. it drives me insane. if we all have coats on in the car, the heat will be adjusted to fit us all wearing coats so no one should be sweating.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Yeah, my kids always wore coats (with the exception of when they were in the infant car seat and bundled with a blanket and the cover). I think that a lot of people don't realise how cold it can be. It can and does routinely get to -30, -40 here, I wear a coat and so do my kids. When it's that cold the snow pants go on too. And being too warm? Ha, I've had my vehicle run for 45 straight and have it just start to get warm enough for me to start to think about turning down the heat. If I'm wearing a coat, the kids wear theirs. If it's a longer trip and I don't have mine on, they can take theirs off.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My toddler wears a coat in the car. It is FREEZING in the morning, despite my car being in the garage. We're both cold in that car for the first 10 minutes until the heat really makes a difference. Plus, when we get to our destination, I want her coat on while we are walking outside. I don't want to mess with putting it back on. It's just easier if it is already on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• i do and always have warm the car up before u put them in there take off coat before bucklin em in i always had a little blanket to put over him in the car for his legs. coats are a givin if we as adults are freezin think of what that child who is smaller then u is goin through u know
    candeeapple

Answer by candeeapple at 12:41 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• YES i put a coat on my toddler! We live in AK!!!! NORMALLY it is below freezing (but 15 degrees is now considered warm lol) an I ALWAYS put a coat on her!!! Without it, she would freeze to death seriously!!!! We do give the car 5-20 mins of warm up time but still, If she so much as touches the rail handles without mittens she could be frostbitten (in the negatives). Whether or not she is fit "snuggly" in the car, as long as she is warm and the belt is tight she'll be safe and not cold!!! Even if I don't have mine, she has hers... your kids can be taken from you here so I make sure mine will NOT be! If they get frostbitten here, your outta luck!!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:59 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My kids always wear coats. Now with my older dd, I had heard somewhere that it was not safe to have their seats belted over coats, but rather than not put a coat on her, I'd take it on and off constantly...very big pain. I've read up on it and now my 19 month old keeps hers on.
    dragntears

Answer by dragntears at 5:57 AM on Feb. 21, 2010