napping advice?

My son is almost 15 months now. He has always been a great napper at home. He has never liked napping at other peoples houses, just in his crib. But now he is not wanting to nap at all. I understand when im babysitting other kids hes worried he will miss out. But even with no other kids here he will just cry and cry. I try to let him cry it out, but he usually wont give in. Any advice to help his transitioning to nap time a little better?

ashtonjames

Asked by ashtonjames at 11:14 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just HAD to let my son cry it out.. He cried for bedtime and naptime almost since birth.. I deteremined he hates sleep,. He does end up sleeping great once he lets himself but ONLY at home and like you, only when he was in his crib. We have yet to be able to have him nap at someone else's house or on a function unless he falls asleep in the car.. I think he's just so very active and does not want to miss a second, his father is the same way though. anyway anytime he went through teething and especially at this age when the molars started, he got worse.. he never slept more like some other kids/babies, try teething tablets tylenol and by all means, let him cry.. I HATED it but lack of sleep for him I was SO terrified would affect his development - I kept my son on a strict time routine.. if it was noon, it was naptime.. period. it has gotten easier and he has stopped crying himself to sleep. he is 2 and it has eased up a bit
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:21 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Thanks. Yeah we are on a pretty good schedual. He usually wakes around 7 or 8 eats and plays and then would take a nap around ten. Have lunch at noon and play. And take another nap around 2 or 3. And he goes to bed at night no problem at all. Just lay him down and he will go right to sleep. I even tried hanging a blanket over his window to see if that would help but it didnt. Ive been letting him cry it out, but I can only hold out for so long before I start feeling horrible and end up in there trying to calm him down. Hes not much of a crier so when he bawls like that worries me. Hes not sick or anything, but just started doing this a few days ago.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 11:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Maybe you are putting him down to early? Kids change from time to time so what worked yesterday might need to be tweaked today. My 13 month old is down to 1 nap most days. If I lay him down and he is mildly fussing or just hanging out, I'll leave him there and see what happens. If he is actually crying or REALLY fussy, I'll get him back up and we might try again in 10 - 15 minutes. Most days, he goes down for his nap 3.5 - 4 hours after he wakes in the morning. I suppose you could try cry it out but if his body isn't ready for a nap yet he will just scream himself exhausted and be forced into it.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 7:47 AM on Feb. 21, 2010