How to find the time???

My son is now 5 months old and is so awesome! However I have been seeing my personal time (bible reading, prayer, showering, etc.) has become such a challenge. Not to mention I don't feel as though I am teaching him.

He does "your baby can read" videos but outside of that I don't think there is any real learning outside of the usual looking around at new things.

How can I optimize my time to ideally spend more time with God, clean myself and house, and help my baby develop and be challenged daily?

Wow...what a struggle! I appreciate any helpful answers that can start me somewhere!

EricaPotter

Asked by EricaPotter at 11:17 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies cant read..and shouldn't be watching tv at 5 mo old either. How about reading TO him? Even if you read the bible out loud to him its better then sitting in front of a video!
    Anonymous

• talk to him, read to him, show him stuff, take him outside for a walk....shower when he naps or after your husband gets home from work or before bed. He can watch you clean house...just talk to him while you do it. There are multitudes of learning moments in everyday life, you just have to look for them.
    Anonymous

• Wow....I completely disagree! My son has watched "your baby can read" videos twice a day, at least, for 10 mins at a time & I have noticed amazing reactions in him-even at 5 mos. The videos are an amazing addition to his day, which includes 2 walks and a chapter of the Bible every day read to him aloud so were are good there- but thank you for the input!

What I am looking for is things that can help him develop. For ex, when he was 4 wks old I started finger exercises to help with his visual tracking-something that most babies don't have until 3 mos. Within 2 wks my son was able to track objects and notice facial expressions.

What other senses can I exercise? He puts everything in his mouth so were good there!

Anyone have experience with an autistic child? I believe there are a lot of excercises that have to be done with autistic children, maybe some of those? I would love to hear about your experiences :)
    EricaPotter

Answer by EricaPotter at 11:41 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• As far as teaching him the things they learn right now aren't so much "school" type education. Its in spacial development which they learn through play and crawling around. They like to watch you do things...including cleaning the house. You can move around the house cleaning and still play and interact with your baby. I used to dance and make silly faces and just talk to my dd while I cooked and cleaned and she loved it. I also read books to her and now at 19 months she is always bringing me books to read to her throughout the day. Also try googling 5 (or 6) month old development and you will get some good ideas on how to teach your baby right now. Read your bible outloud. Pray outloud or early in the morning before he wakes up. Set your baby in a swing or baby chair and shower. But you can do all the things you mentioned, just have fun with it and your baby will generally think its fun too.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• You can disagree about the tv it you like, but studies show tv is NOT a good thing for babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I hope at some point you just allow him to be a child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I have 3 kids under the age of 4, and with my first I was just like you. I wanted to teach teach teach. Even with everything I did, she got the most out of just playing with me and me reading to her. With my 2nd I didnt have as much time to teach and she is smarter per say than my first and my 3rd I have NO time and at 3 weeks was smiling real smiles, laughing at 6 weeks and reaching for toys at 2 months and at 3 months sitting with little support. So no matter if you teach or not, your child will learn what they need at their own time and pace. TV really isnt good for kids. I hardly ever have mine on, but at 5 months just play with your baby and let him be a baby. They are only little once, so enjoy them being little.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I think that reading your bible to him would be a great idea. You will still get some time for devotion and your son will benefit from the reading as well as good bonding time. Also, you can take time out for you when your son is napping as well as when your husband is home. There is no need to be super mommy, and you can ask for some help from friends or family. A lot of grandmas and aunties love to spend time with little ones. :)
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 4:16 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• read to him... everyone says babies can't read.. but they can.. they recognize what sound matches with what word and what object and what not.. my daughter was 10 months old saying dog when she saw the word for a dog.. and she knows what a dog is so it tries everything together.. anyways taking him to libraries for baby group time is really great because it'll nurture his social development... also i noticed when i started having my daughter around older children she started catching on to things a lot sooner and became more confident... he might not have the same personality as her so its not a guarantee but who knows.. good luck
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 4:34 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Actually, you're doing a LOT. Maybe a bit too much...there has been so much talk about overstimulating our kids. I have an Aspie and structure seems to be the most important...but that doesn't come into play for MONTHS yet.

At this moment, the best way to teach him is to leave him be a bit. If you have a floor gym or even a brightly colored comforter to lay him on, he'll get TONS out of that while you can attend to your devotions.

Housework? Check out flylady.net for organizing tips that do help and save time.

But what I'm reading here is that you're trying to do too much. Cut yourself some slack. REALLY.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:16 PM on Feb. 21, 2010