What is in catnip?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Pets

• catnip is a herb, safe for human consumption as well as animal (no, it will not get you high). It reacts in your cat as a mild stimulant, and they enjoy it. there is nothing wrong or harmful about it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:55 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• I asked this question at a pet store they said it was kitty marijauna (spelled it wrong).
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Nooooo???? Really? So it can't be a good thing!
    Anonymous

• sure they love it!!
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 11:30 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Catnip is a type of mint, hence it's sometimes called Catmint. I don't know why cats go nuts for it, but some do and some could care less. I've noticed that my cats even like the wrappers on gum, so perhaps they just like mint? We joke that it's kitty crack, since our cats go crazy for it.

My dad thought it was peppermint and cooked with it. It was actually quite tasty!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:08 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• catnip is a part ofthe mint family. It aids in digestion for cats as well as people. In some health food shops you can buy it in tea form as well as capsules. Where I live it grows wild so I harvest some and let it dry to use later for tea. It is perfectly safe for cats and it is not marijuana.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 3:24 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• a chemical called necetalactone is what the cats react to. Humans are unable to have the reaction. Even big cats can react to it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:14 PM on Feb. 22, 2010