has anyone had a strange circulation problem with their baby's legs???

my baby is 5 mths old, and when i carry him for only about 5 mins, his legs below the knee go mottled, blue and then red patches, then blue, almost like someone has tied ropes around them, and the circulation is being cut off!!!!!
it has happened about 4 times now. it puts him in extreme pain. lasts about 10 mins, then takes about antother 10 for him to stop screaming, and it to come back to normal.
have been to hospital, had heart xray/scan/ecg/blood pressure checks, nothing wrong with his heart. he had a LOW white blood cell count - but not abnormal. he also had protein in his urine. am doing more tests tomorrow to see if these are still the same.
the doctors are all stuck. and we are left absolutley confused. apart from this problem, he is very healthy normal little boy. He has reflux, but that is under control now with slippery elm.
PLEASE ANYONE ANY IDEAS????????

vickichicki

Asked by vickichicki at 11:28 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Only thing I can think of is the way you are carrying him. My sons legs just did this exact same thing the other night but it was from the way my husband was holding him. Screaming in pain makes me think he may have a hip out or his lower back is out and maybe try seeing a chiropractor.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 11:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• Well there is an age differance between your kid and mine, my kid is 14, about to be 15 in June and everytime she went on like a date or something or she would hold her little sisters hand her wrist would go numb and her circulation is would get cut off, we took her to the doctor and the doctor perscribed some cream that went through her skin layers to get to where the circulation would cut off, hoped this helped!!
    Anonymous

• all of my babies get that way/are that way when they're young, and as they grow up, they grow out of it. I don't even have to be touching them. they could be sitting up, and have blue toes! everyone always tells me I should put socks on thier feet because thier feet are cold etc etc...but they grow out of it, and socks don't help..lol I just rub them whenever I notice it.
    Thier ped. said it's normal for some babies and they grow out of it!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• My son had a similar problem when he was born....all 4 limbs would turn blue. He simply grew out of it. Sometimes his legs can change colors if the position I am holding him hurts him or if he gets cold he turns colors quick. I would say dont stress too much. The test are probably freaking him out more then the circ. problem. Try seeing a D.O or a homeopathic doc. They are normally less invasive. Best of luck to you! I will lift your little one up in prayer.
    EricaPotter

Answer by EricaPotter at 11:46 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• i had that problem with my youngest. everytime i would put her in the baby sling or hold her on my hip her legs with turn blue. it never caused her pain though, i would just change positions and rub her leggs but she grew out of it. its mostly the position.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• thanks for your answers. it starts off as a red patch, then blue. it happens at moment on one leg when im nursing him. i hope you are all right and he just grows out of it:)
    vickichicki

Answer by vickichicki at 2:35 PM on Feb. 21, 2010