Opinion on trying to have another baby....

Lately, I have been feeling like having another baby. My SO has two children from a previous marriage. they are 9 and almost 6. We have had one daughter together. She is 19 months. So, I have only had one child myself. I have always wanted more than one child. I thought for awhile that with having the SKs that once I had one of my own, I would probably be fine...but, I dont think that is the case anymore. I really would like to have another child of my own. I know that my SO isn't big on the idea. However, my bigger concern is that we are not doing so hot financially. I think it would be irresponsible to have another child at this time due to finances, but I dont want to wait too long. What are some of your opinions/ideas? I am 26 and SO is 31.

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes I've never been one to say don't have another kid because your finances aren't perfect. Consider tightening up your budget or even gaining extra income (through a 1st or 2nd job) in order to get out of debt. But honestly, unless I can't put food on the table or pay for my home money isn't stopping me from having a child. I know alot of moms feel its irresponsible. I'm just not one of them.
    Anonymous

• I would go for another one.
    Anonymous

• I'm 25 and my hub is 32...we're having #4. You still are young...and I don't blame you for having the feeling of wanting another child. Everytime I've had one of my babies, 6 months later I'm like craving to have another. With #4...I don't even want to think about it.
    Talk to him about it, and tell him how fufilling to you it would feel....but I understand the financial strain too...
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:48 PM on Feb. 20, 2010

• you are young, you have time, its not running out that quickly. dont worry.
    I'm 25 years old, and I have a set of twins, and am pregnant with our third kiddo.
    we arent the richest people in the world, but we arent dirt poor. feeding kids isnt a problem, just a little more in the pot!
    ljonesmommy23

Answer by ljonesmommy23 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• get married
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I agree that you have time. I'm 31 and just had my daughter 6 months ago at 30. If we aren't trying for a second by the time I'm 35-36, my husband's getting the snip. So in my mind, since you are only 26, I think you have tons of time. We're not so set on our babies being X years apart. In fact, I want the first out of diapers before a second comes along. We're also really big on being able to put our kids through college and still have money to do things we want to do. Maybe not pay 100% for college, but definitely help. So again in my mind, since you aren't doing well financially, I would wait. That's just my opinion.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:46 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Thanks for all the advice. We definately wont be having one too soon because yeah...it would be hugely irresponsible....but once finances are straightened out some...i think would feel better about it.

also, anon52. I will get married. however, i am happy with SO. i love him and he loves me. he got married for the wrong reasons the first time and they really should never have been together, let alone had kids. so he isn't big on the marriage thing. however, he knows that i want to get married and i will get married. i am just giving him the time he needs for that. i want him to feel good about getting married.

christina, i am not set on the years apart, but i dont want them to be too far apart. my DD is starting potty training now, so it wont be long before she is out of diapers. i would rather it not be too long after that.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2010