Is it normal to have a pain in one of your ovaries right after finding out you're pregnant?

I found out I'm pregnant the day before my missed period and have noticed that I'm getting a pain in my left ovary that feels like it's making the left side of my lower back hurt as well. Is this normal? Or should I worry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Feb. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• your uterus will start stretching so that will cause a little pain too. but yes it is normal for it to hurt a little

_mimimosley_

Answer by _mimimosley_ at 12:00 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't worry too much, but if the pain gets worse I would go to the doctor. It may be an early sign of an ectopic pregnancy, not likely but possible. I do not want to scare you but please be aware of the possibility.

An ectopic pregnancy is when a fertilized egg implants in the ovary or fallopian tube instead of the uterus. It is impossible to carry the baby to term and you must terminate the pregnancy. If not terminated, your tube/ovary will rupture because they do not have the ability to stretch to fit a growing baby. This could be life threatening to you and your baby would not survive.

Good luck! I hope you and your baby are both healthy!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 12:02 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I had the SAME pain you're describing. I'm now (almost) 8 weeks with a healthy uterine pregnancy. You definitely want to mention this to your doc though, just to be on the safe side.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:00 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I had a cyst when I was pregnant. I would get it checked out anyway.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 1:08 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Same thing happened to me! I think I was 5 weeks along. I freaked out, thinking ectopic pregnancy. Called the docotor's office and was told I was likely just feeling implantation. The MW told me that even if it was an ectopic pregnancy, it was too early to feel the pain from that. Definitely call if it gets worse or you want peace of mind, though.

I went on to have a perfect pregnancy with absolutely no complications. My son is almost 14 months now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I had a cyst also when I was that early they are common and they will go away around 12 weeks, but they pain can also mean tubal pregnancy so you should deff say something to your ob and let them decide what is best to do! gl
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 10:09 AM on Feb. 21, 2010