What do you think abotu spanking?

I have seen mothers on here say its wrong,& mothers who say its right.I think as long as it is not abusive spanking,that it works.Abusive spanking is like leaving marks things like that in my eyes. I think people have been doing it for ever and if you are strict on your kids and follow through with what you warn them about kids actually turn out all right instead of kids who have no respect for the parents or others and thinks everything should be handed to them.what is your take on this though?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• This is a tough one. I do not believe in hitting your child on any other part of his/her body other than on the buttox. I asked a police officer and he said that as long as you do not leave a mark (e.g., hand print, bruising, wounds any broken skin, ect:) than it is not considered abuse. There are times that i have lost my tempter on my kid and i have a habbit of yelling. this helps me release my stress but i know that this too is abusive. I am attending parenting support class.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 12:38 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Ok, what about the parents that don't hit or spank but they bully their kids verbally. I was at chuckycheese and i overheard a mother yelling at her kids " YOu better get your fucking ass over hear, or I will beat the shirt out of you"..that poor kid looked frighted. should they be punished too.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 12:42 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• i believe that spanking is a good tool if you use it right. i only spank my children for doing things that are extremely dangerouse. like when i cought my 3 year old on top of the fridge she got a pop. or when my 8 year old decided it would be fun to lay behind my van when i was getting ready to leave. thank god i was watching!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I believe in spanking. I think if you are stricted and loving with your child they will be better people. I hate hearing my son cry..it kills me..but I spank him if I have to. Plus I would rather not be yelling at him all the time. As long as I don't hurt him bad or leave any marks..and as long as it is honestly needed...I think it is the right thing to do. I want to be my sons best friend ( yeah I know it's never going to happen)...but I would rather him turn out to be a good person.
    belange

Answer by belange at 1:02 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• ok what was your 3 year old child doing ontop of a fridge? i only spank my son other than that i am at his level talking to him or if he puts on fits i put him in his room for time out and take away toys for the rest of the night
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 1:13 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Its in the Bible... Spare the rod, spoil the child. I dont beat or use rods, but I do spank my oldest on the but when she is doing things she knows better than to do. First time offence is talking to her to explain and second offence is time out and if there is a third offence she gets spanked. Plain and simple.
    3jewlz

Answer by 3jewlz at 1:27 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My kids have been spanked just a few times. I teach my kids they have a choice...as long as you do not get into trouble all will be good and your mom will be very happy. Choose to do wrong you choose to have a very unhappy mom.
    I never yell at them, I make eye contact and speak clearly. I set the example and expect them to follow.
    I see moms who yell all the time and spank all the time and it's to the point the kids get used to it and loose respect for their mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• spanking doesn't help.. why do you think it has been phased out of most homes and schools... as parents you are the first line of support for your children and when you use spanking as a way of showing them they are wrong then it take away the trust they have for you.. and for most people once you start you can't stop.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 4:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I think any form of abuse be it verbal or physical or emotional is wrong and in my mind hitting a child at all is abuse. I do not tell others how to raise their children though. I always get compliments on how well behaved my children are and how well they listen and they are 3 and 5 years old. I do occasionally yell, but that is only when I have lost control and I feel terrible about it after wards.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I think normal spanking is fine. Under the lines of none of my business. I'd like to never spank my daughter and use other methods, but being she's only 6 months old, I can't 100% say for sure it will never happen. I said I'd never cry it out, which if done correctly, I don't think is wrong, but I didn't want to do it and luckily we haven't had to resort to that and my daughter goes to bed at night very well. I also said I'd never use a pacifier and two weeks after she was born, she was using a pacifier. LOL! She now only uses it at bedtime and naptime. So we will see what the future holds as far as spanking goes.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 21, 2010