My daughter has OCD and Social Agoraphobia. Any tips on helping her go into the workforce? She wants to, but the pressure of being around people is so high.

She is 17, is being home-schooled and is being treated for Major Depression, insomnia, and OCD. She has had a probl;em with street drugs and alcohol when she was 15-early 17. She overdosed, but came out of the coma. She hasn't been the same since.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Contact your local state office of Vocational Rehabilitation. They assist people with disabilities to find work that is appropriate for them. They should have counselors who specialize in transition services. Teens with disabilities face many issues when it comes to finding a career or starting college. If you need anymore information about what they do or help finding the office near you feel free to PM me. Have you thought about having her apply for social security once she turns 18? If she is not very stable you may also want to consider becoming her guardian. It is so much easier to do these things now than later when she is older.
    FL2AK

Answer by FL2AK at 1:20 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• see above. Transition services is part of disabilites act. The last two are also options and by the way there are diff. levels of guardianship it doens't need to be an all or nothing thing. Her therapists may also be able to refer you to someone in your area that works on these types of situations.
    GL and hugs to you and dd.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• FL2ak gave you excellent advice. I want to add my heart goes out to your daughter. I'm so sorry she is dealing with this at such a young age. I agree you should become her legal guardian now that she is of age and she should be able to get SSI. Good luck hon and God bless.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:58 PM on Feb. 21, 2010