How to get some sleep while your spouse is away.

Okay, my husband has been away for the past few days due to a death in his family. I was unable to go due to kids and school. I haven't slept hardly at all. Which is probably why I am up at 3:00 a.m. writing this. I'm exhausted and still no sleep. Any ideas on how to conquer this? And yes I've tried the sleeping pill and it doesn't help.
Sherri
www.cafemom.com/groups/work_at_home_parents

berrishaker

Asked by berrishaker at 3:20 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Health

• I cant sleep well when Dh is gone. Normally What helps me is to use his pillow and wear one of his shirts, maybe its just his scent IDK but it helps. It is rare to have to deal with him gone but when he worked late nights it helped me get to sleep earlier instead of laying awake till he got home.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:25 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• He sleeps with a huge pillow and I usually try using that but it just not the same I guess
    berrishaker

Answer by berrishaker at 3:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My SO is gone most of the time for work, which really sucks, b/c I really only sleep well when he is home. I find that his pillow tends to retain his scent for a bit after he leaves, so snuggling up with it helps a bit. His shower pouf still smells like his soap, and sometimes I'll rub that on a shirt or some other rag or something and hold it, too. Unfortunately, neither works really well, so I tend to just run on less sleep while he's gone and try to catch up when he's home...while also catching up on other things that tend to go the opposite way of sleep. Sometimes I just say screw it and load up on caffeine, even though caffeine tends to REALLY disagree with me.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:42 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Try sleeping in one of his t-shirts... I had the same problem sleeping when DH started working night shifts. Now, after 15 years on night shift, I can't sleep if he's HOME. God does that man snore something horrible:-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2010