Do you have to go to prenatal visits before 20 weeks?

I am a mother of 2 and last night I got a faint positive (Im going to take another one in a couple of days just to make sure). So if everything is going according to plan do i really need to see an OB or anyone else right now? Can it wait? FYI it’s not because of insurance or money. I just don’t want to go yet.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i think it all depends on were you live, as different areas do things different ways. with this not being your first baby (if you are prego) like me im on baby 4 at the mo, i found out i was prego at 6 weeks, i had to do a test for the doctor to be sure so by week 8 the doctor told me yeah defo prego so i had to wait for him to leave note for midwife to contact me , so by week 9-10 she done a homevisit then i had a scan at 14 weeks then you will probly get another scan at 20 weeks, ive had to have more tho as baby has a cleft lip and palate, but if i were you i would get it seen to asap just for the babys sake to make sure all is well , good luck xx
    happymam2b

Answer by happymam2b at 4:07 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• you are not required to seek out prenatal care however, it is very wise to know as much as you can about pregnancy so you know what to look for in the even something seems wrong. Many women now do UP or unassisted prenatal. But those women choose to do that are very educated on pregnancy and birth and self aware. Plus they have support from their family and or friends as well.

You call the shots. Just remember to take good care of your self! There is a group here on CAFEMOM that might be of assistance to you. I suggest a group search.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:29 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• It's not like it's illegal or something, but a lot of midwives and OBs around here will not take you if you wait too long to call and go in. My midwife doesn't want to see you until you are at least 12 weeks anyway though. She does want a call and if you are unsure of the conception date then she does an early scan (around 5-6 weeks) and then sends you home and has you come back at 12 weeks.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:10 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• personaly i would just because i like to hear the heart beat and the scans and measured and what not. i loved being pregant. i read every baby book imaginable. but unless you have health problems or are predispositioned to heditary problems i wouldnt worry about it a whole lot. just start your prenatals.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 8:25 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• yes - you should go - why would you not want to get prenatal care for you and baby and make sure all is ok with baby????????
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:45 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• you don't HAVE to do anything. some women do their own prenatal care. if you don't want to do that, or don't know how, you might want to go ahead and get an appointment around 10-15 weeks. they can check your general health, and give you so good info on taking care of yourself and your baby =)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• You don't have to, but why wouldn't you want to? Prior to 20 weeks I had initial blood work done, andan initial US to make sure there was a heartbeat, etc. I even found out the sex prior to 20 weeks. I'd be too nervous to allow half my pregnancy to go by without being checked out.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:56 AM on Feb. 21, 2010