Alcohol during Pregnancy

How many Mamas consume a little alcohol now and then while pregnant? I think a little wine or beer (not a lot and not all the time) isn't going to hurt baby at all. Any other Mama's out there with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i dont see any harm if it is only a little drink now and then, mind this is baby 4 for me and im not in the mood for a drink however i did have 2 halfs of lager a few weeks ago at a family doo then i was on pop lol but why not enjoy a little drink aslong as its not an all night drinking sesion lol you can have so many units a week whilest pregnant anyways xx
    happymam2b

Answer by happymam2b at 4:12 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• What a idiotic question.

No I would never have a drink while pregnant. I love my children and would never want to be a part of why they couldn't be the best in life.

Just because you have a little drink and you don't have much of an affect from it doesn't mean that the tiny fetus in your stomach isn't completely tipsy.

It damages nerves in the brain that the baby can never grow back... so in some way it will harm them for life... even if they come out normal looking .. growing up they might be slower developmentally or have anger issue or delayed social skills etc.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 4:48 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• i heard one beer takes 10hrs to get out of the babies system as where it only takes an hour for yours....thats messed up.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 6:54 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• 9 months to avoid alcohol doesn't sound like too much to me. It's JUST a drink. Get something without alcohol and carry on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I have never had alcohol while pregnant or for the first 12 months after while I was nursing. After about 12 months though I would start to have an occasional drink when I knew they would be asleep for a while (my children self wean and my youngest at 32 months old is still nursing). I think it is highly irresponsible and stupid to drink while pregnant or nursing and extremely selfish and immature.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My step mom use to drink like 2-6 beers a day! (shes an alcoholic) ... But my opinion she's stupid, I ended up getting into a really big argument about that, I didnt want to see something wrong with my baby brother when he was born, but he ended up fine, little brat tho lol... I am currently 15 weeks, 3 days and I havnt touched one sip of alcohol and dont plan to for the rest of my pregnancy and after I'm done nursing! But some ppl cant quit its a daily routine for them, I am currently trying to quit smoking and it has been a very hard thing to do! So sadly to say I must be just as bad!
    MummaMel

Answer by MummaMel at 10:08 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• drs haven't determined what a "safe" amount of alcohol during pregnancy is. so i stick w/their advice and just don't drink any. when i'm not pregnant, i drink on a fairly regular basis (a few drinks a week) with dinner, to unwind after the kids are in bed, etc. but although i do miss it at times, i'm not willing to risk the health of my baby. if anything were to go wrong, i don't want to always think, "what if i hadn't drank...?" so i just don't. =)
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 10:27 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I did it, and my kids are fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I drink a couple of times a week while not pregnant, just a glass or two here and there.

I miss it a little bit, but I really don't have much of an appetite for it. I know they say a glass every now and then at the end of a pregnancy is ok, but still, it just makes me too nervous. It's just easier to not drink at all IMO.

Most likely, a sip every once in a while won't do anything.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:04 PM on Feb. 21, 2010