What kind of drinking bottle is appropriate for a 5 year old?

I brought my 5 year old daughter to a gathering the other day. I usually bring water for her everywhere we go, using the Munchkin Flip Straw type. Someone commented she's too old to use that bottle. Geez, it was so embarassing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• flip straw type doesn't sound like a bottle.. sounds like a sippy cup.. and yes she should be able to drink out of a regular cup by now but if its going to be easy to hall around and not spill all over the place in the car then why not have it.. or just a regular water bottle even
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 4:50 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• 5 year old kids do not need fluids 24/7 like a baby does to survive. There is know reason to cart any kind of container for the kids.

Answer by louise2 at 6:19 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Goodness, she is still just a little kid! Some people are crazy! My 4 year old loves to drink out of a regular water bottle. You could try that for her. And I think it is great that you always have water for her. I carry one around for myself and my kids. It's good to get plenty of water to drink (especially water instead of juice, pop, kool-aid, etc).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:30 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Let her keep using the one you bought for her....if you see that woman again kick her in the pants for me....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:45 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• 5 is too old for a bottle, plain and simple. She should be able to drink out of a normal water bottle or cup.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• My kids (3 & almost 6) have these. They are great! They are just straw cups, but great for the playground or car trips or other occasions where you don't want to worry about them spilling or gettting knocked over. Both of my kids drink from a regular cup just fine but sometimes they need something they can't make a mess with, especially at other people's houses! I don't think there is anything wrong with her having a straw cup, we just upgraded so they are "big kid cups" plus they keep things cold for a long time!!!

http://thermos.com/product_details.aspx?ProdID=988&CatCode=BEVG
    TKsMommie

Answer by TKsMommie at 7:53 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• we carry water with us a lot when we go out too. i got in the habit with my last pregnancy. i have a few sport type water bottles that i fill up for my 3 yr old. maybe try those. they dont look like a sippy cup at all. you see people of all ages using them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• we use the poland springs sport cap bottles which work great also wlamart makes a "take and toss" line of cups its ike 4 dolalrs for 5 cups and lids they come with plastic straws i chuck those out (hard as hell to clean those) and use regular old bendy straws workes wonders and my son is 3 but looks about 5 so some people look at me strangley but its just a coverd cup with a straw so its not that strange. also i often ask for soda cups when we are out then i put my own drink in them i have eaven put milk in a soda cup just for convience
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 8:20 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• my kids have stainless steel water bottles, just like us! any sports type of water bottle would be fine! and good for you for always bringing water with you! it is a great habit!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:42 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• pffft its a straw in a cup that cant spill..no different then a straw in a cup that can spill..ugh people and the im gotta be perfect and my child must be also..

Do children die using a straw sippy cup? is it a chocking hazard?

Use the item...and kudos to you for being a mom that packs the extra just in case items..
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:43 AM on Feb. 21, 2010