Homeschooling question...

I am thinking about homeschooling our 15 yo son... he barely passes in public school because he spends too much time socializing and being the class clown. Getting him out the door is a chore in itself. Our 8 yo daughter, on the other hand, LOVES school and has always been on the honor roll. Our son's last skills assessment put him at a 12 th grade reading comprehension level and a college level math (he used to go to college with me at night when he was 7,8, and 9). I think he's not challenged enough in public school but I don't know what I need to do to homeschool him. Can I make up my own lessons, or do I have to follow a program? If so, I want one with LIMITED computer interaction and heavy on REAL books!

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 7:38 AM on Feb. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I can not imagine homeschooling a 15 year old. Especially as you describe him. I'm sure it's possible and you must be feeling like it's one of your last choices. Have you already spoken to his current school? Can they not move him up/ challenge him? I bet he would feel terrible missing out on the social aspects of going every day. You know him better than I do, good luck.
    Try googling homeschooling and see what you come up with and check with your state board of education about what you will need to do. Seriously, good luck!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:37 AM on Feb. 21, 2010

• Use google and find your state's laws on homeschooling. That will help you decide your approach. If your state allows either, I would recommend a structured program with teacher support. There are many choices out there. Contact your local homeschool support group (your school board may be able to help you with this, depending on where you live).
    Anonymous

• How close is he to 16? If your state dropout age is 16, perhaps it would be better for him to get his GED and start at a community college.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 3:17 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• He'll be 16 in september, he tried to sell us on the "life skills" school or GED and we flat out denied that. I talked to him this afternoon about homeschooling and he freaked out. He said that there was no way he was going to let me teach him - when I asked why, he said because it would be too hard - if he does bad in public school, the most they can do is give him an F. If he does bad at home, I might make him do dishes!!
    I told him since he'll probably end up doing dishes for a living, he might as well start now :-)
    He promises to go to school and do better now, as long as I don't punish him with homeschooling.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 5:38 PM on Feb. 21, 2010

• I think that if your willing to to this with him. and its something he wants to do as well. its okay. but you botth have to take this very serious and keep up. with the work and not fall behind. Make sure you(mom) get the papers that say you are quaifyed to do this. because you do need a permit of some kind. The only sad part is that he won't have any class mate to talk to.;)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:34 AM on Feb. 22, 2010